1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Manila Closet

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by number10messi, Jun 28, 2015.

1. number10messi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone!

I am a 27-year old guy and I have known for quite some time that I am gay. I had a relationship with my bestfriend back in college. Nobody knew about our little secret. We have broken up after 4 years of being together, I was 22 then.

I am now in politics and in the Philippines, coming out as gay could potentially have a great effect on a politician's winnability. I have not come out to my family and friends.

I haven't been in a relationship ever since. I have been dating women and sometimes I like it. I am still undecided whether I should come out. I would love the world to know about me being gay so I can freely express myself. I would want to have the freedom other gaymen have, to love freely, and to live the way they want.

I have joined this group in the hope of finding people in the same situation. I can't talk about this with anyone, and i am hoping i can express myself here while I find the courage to finally tell the world that I am gay.

2. aguynamednick

you know that the current president of iceland, shes a lesbian, ik culture is different in the Philippines but it might not change your chances as much as u may think.

3. RoseLalonde

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC!

4. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Hello and welcome to ec! :slight_smile:
    I hope you enjoy your time here and that you're able to make new friends who will both advise and support you.
    Best of luck and if you ever need a friend don't hesitate to contact me :slight_smile:

6. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

7. m e l v i n

Hi :slight_smile: is it only because of politics? I don't think it would be a negative thing at all.. It could actually be one of your advicacies.. Or at least it would be better to let the people know before the elections than some other time during campaign period (when other candidates can make a big deal of it and use it against you >_< ) or even after the elections.. I think filipinos are more openinded these days, especially the youth, and wouldn't mind having lgbt people in the government.. In fact there are already openly gay politicians in positions today :slight_smile: anyway, good luck (*hug*)

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. number10messi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's not just because of politics. It's also because I'm afraid. I'm afraid of how my own family would take it, my friends, and people who matter to me. While the younger generation of Filipinos may be more open-minded, there are still a lot of factors that I'm considering. I knew for a fact that some bosses in the public sector have very strong homophobia. I've been part of thursday clubs in caucuses where lawmakers make fun of LGBT people and how the word gay is used as an insult to a fellow lawmaker.

Haaaay. Tangina. Ang hirap.

10. m e l v i n

yeah, i know it would be awkward at the very least -___- but if you can come out to a few *trusted* friends soon, maybe you could on it fully before the elections.. (not easy, i know.. i must sound like a hypocrite because i'm not either :lol: )

and hey, i think those *homophobic* politicians would at least stop saying "gay" as an insult whenever they're around you, just to be a little more discreet.. and of course whether they'd make fun of you or not depends on how you would carry yourself after you come out..

btw, a little heads up, i don't think we can speak other languages here :/ i wish we could :lol:

11. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! First of all, welcome to EC!

Your situation is hard, considering that you are surrounded by homophobes and there are eyes always looking at you since you are a public figure. Its hard dealing with it. But just hang in there, be strong. I am quite sure that you are very passionate at leading people, so continue doing it. One day, the homophobia in Philippines will weaken and coming out as a gay politician wont affect your "winability". If you need someone to talk to, you can always count on me. And also, EC is a perfect site for being yourself. Be strong! :slight_smile:

Yeah, like melvin said, this is english only zone. Very much like elementary days, where you have to pay P1 for every Filipino word you use :grin: :lol:

12. kaythecoffeefan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Welcome to EC! Looks like we have the same situation, more or less.

I belong to a big Christian ministry, and all eyes have been on me for quite sometime-because of supporting LGBT people and their rights, so I don't have a choice but to keep my lesbian self in the closet.

It hurts to admit that our country still doesn't take LGBT seriously - specifically in Public Service. There are some still judgmental about gay politicians, celebrities, your average joes and janes, but don't let poor judgement cloud over your capabilities. I tell that to myself everyday. If they don't accept you as you are, it won't be your loss.

Oh yeah. I've had my share of that 'English only zone' even in high school :slight_smile:

13. number10messi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's nice to find fellow closet dwellers from the PH :slight_smile:

I am looking forward to the day when our people become more accepting of people like us. My own younger brother has homophobic tendencies, when we watch sports and hear him give out comments like: "that's so lame, so gay!" It makes my situation so much harder to live.

But it's a choice not to come out, so I just have to suck it up and bid my time.

14. m e l v i n

i feel you messi :/ btw.. do you do politics only because of family pressure? a political clan maybe? i wish you could have the chance to come out some time.. i wish we could (*hug*)

15. kaythecoffeefan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (&&&)(*hug*)

16. MetalRice

Welcome to the site; sorry about your predicament *hugs*