1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new to this, looking for some helpful advice

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Huckleberry24, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Huckleberry24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi everyone, I'm new here (to this site as well as to the LGBT community)

I read about this site on a column about being new to lesbianism. One of the steps was to seek online support groups, so I'm here. I've recently come to realize that I'm most likely a lesbian, and I'd like to get to know others like me.

A bit about me; I'm 24 years old, and for the last 21-22 years I thought I was straight. I've never really been in a serious relationship, so I don't have much experience to go off of, and I don't know if that's bad or not. I've never had good luck with guys, and the few that I did date terrified me. I would be fine in public or around family and friends, but when left alone I became rather anxious and just wanted to get away. That is one of the things that has made me question my sexuality. Another one, and the most influential, is my relationship with my used-to-be best friend. I didn't know it at the time, but looking back now I realize that I was in love with her. I always treated our relationship differently than any other friendship I'd had. I would get jealous when she would go out on dates, I would always want to spend time with her, and again I didn't realize it until after the fact, but I used to check her out and admire her quite frequently. She must have caught on to all of this, because suddenly we weren't friends anymore and I had no idea why. I was completely distraught for months after this, and it took me a good solid year to finally be okay with it. Later I had a conversation with a mutual friend of ours who told me that her sister told them she thought I was gay for her (my BF). I scoffed and denied it, but it planted a seed.

I soon discovered lesbian fanfiction, at first hiding it, like I was doing something wrong, but slowly came to embrace how it made me feel. I began to question my true feelings for girls, at the same time as I started to dislike men more and more. I've alway been a tomboy, and growing up I was made fun of a lot because of it. I was the stupid tomboy or Tarzan, and then when I got older people outright called me a dyke. It used to make me furious, and I would deny it wholeheartedly, but now I know they were right, and once I embraced it I felt so much lighter. Both of my siblings know, as well as my best friend and mother, and they are all 100% supportive, which makes me so very grateful, and they have helped me as well to come to terms with who I am.

Now the part that I'm confused about, is that I still find men attractive, and they can turn me on, but the thought of actually being with one grosses me out. Women on the other hand, just continue to intrigue me more and more. I really want to get out into the world of lesbians and start meeting people. So as I said, I'm new to this, and I can't quite figure out what it is I really want, and I'd sure love some advice.

- The most likely lesbian, but possibly bisexual, confused girl.

2. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to EC!!! Nice to meet you!!!

#2 The Purple One3, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. jewell

Well I'm not your classic lesbian but i would say just play around with it i thought i was gay for sometime because i was so effeminate. Still i tried a bit and I'm happy I did just to know I'm not into it. For me i could be turned on by guys but I didnt feel the same want to cuddle or love when the sex was done. girls i wanna kiss and look at after and talk. Thats what decided for me at least.

EDIT:Welcome to EC btw happy to have you im new too so hit me up if you ever wanna talk.

#3 jewell, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. lovely lesbian

5. Ashleigh16

Hi. I'm not by any means the most experienced but I'm always open to talk. Feel free to post on my wall anytime and I'll get back with you ASAP. You sound a bit like me in se areas. I never considered it until recently. Anyway welcome and I'd love to chat sometime if you want to.

6. Comhionannas

Hi there Huckleberry24, welcome to EC!!

7. MissMonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Awesome to meet you! you'll find a lot of helpful support as you discover yourself here. I think you're most likely a bisexual leaning heabily towards lesbian side.

Men are kinda gross, arent they? But they have their charma :wink:

Ahaha~ anyways, I hope you find all your answers! Good luck!

8. confuseddreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there Huckleberry24. Welcome to EC. You couldn't come to a more kinder, caring and more understanding place. It is a safe and loving haven here.
    Good to have you here.

9. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. Huckleberry24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for all your support and comments:slight_smile: It felt good to read them all. I'm obviously still trying to figure this out, but I feel more confident and better about this as each day goes by. I also feel rather glad that I found this site, it's already helped me tremendously.