1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello and so confused

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Wander1, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Wander1

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey.

For most of my life, I thought I was just bisexual. I didn't think there was such a thing as sexual vs. romantic orientation. Now that I've been educated, I think that I might be aromantic. I don't think I was always this way, but I think it happened gradually over the last four or five years.

I'm married to someone of the opposite gender/sex. My partner complains that I'm bad at romance and when we do anything romantic it just feels like I'm copying what I know to be romantic, but I don't feel it. It's not just the marriage, either. I haven't felt romantically attractive/attracted in years.

I honestly feel like if my spouse left me, I'd never pursue another dating/romantic relationship again. Emotional intimacy makes me incredibly uncomfortable and I've always pulled away from it. I think I got married because deep down I just wanted the relationship stuff to be "over with."

I care about my spouse as a human being, very much so. I do believe I love them, I just don't love them romantically....I love them like I love my longtime friends and my family members. (Incidentally, I'm not close with family... I see my parents twice a year and haven't seen my extended family in many years.)

As for sexuality, I've been with both sexes, though only ever had cisgendered partners. I'm not opposed to otherwise. I still feel sexual attraction, but to me the act of sex is entirely removed from the idea of romance.

This is all very new and confusing to me. I had no idea that much of this terminology existed until recently.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read.

2. Gratitude

Hi Wander1. Nice to meet you! And, ftr, your post just educated me a little more too, so thank you. :slight_smile:

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people