1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

46 years old and just come out

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by doodlebug, Jul 23, 2015.

1. doodlebug

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I confided in my close friend, who is also my manager, last night that I am gay by text and she text me back saying she loved me just as I am. I was really touched by her acceptance as it is something I always struggled to accept myself. I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I am somehow free at last.

All of my younger sexual experiences were with females and my interest and attraction in women has been something I have hidden since I was caught with a girl in my teens and made to feel like a freak by my abusive father. The following years have seen four weddings and a funeral, the weddings my own and the death of my best friend.

I spent my life looking for a man to rescue me yet found myself absent when it came to sex, the only way to make it palatable by creating lesbian fantasy, which they found thrilling, little understanding that my fantasies were my own secret yearnings. This came to a head, when a few years ago I ended up sleeping with a female friend, albeit as part of a threesome - although I had no interest in the male. I realised immediately that I was denying my own truth as I felt alive with her, fully connected and present.

Again I hid my true feelings from myself in order to tow the line, be normal and be accepted by my family.

Several things have happened recently and I can deny my true self no more. The marriage ended and I rented myself a little cottage to live in 18 months ago. From there I have allowed myself the opportunity to heal from my childhood and accept myself. I had to walk away from my birth parents due to their narcissistic nature and family - which leaves me in a much more peaceful space, full of peace and time to heal. I have a 26 year old daughter who I am very close to but have never told of my real self.

I now feel complete but I would greatly appreciate advice on how I can nurture my new found acceptance, learn to love truthfully and be part of this wonderful community.

2. PurpleKitten

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm so glad you've discovered the true you and come to terms with who you are! Congratulations! Congrats on telling your friend!

I'm so sorry for your loss, i hope things will start going better for you soon

3. Faazi

Hi, Welcome and Congratulations :slight_smile: I wish you all the best on your journey ahead through your truer self. Chat, talk, explore - here on EC and in other places where you have an interest. An exciting time for you to get to discover who YOU are to love and invest in yourself. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome and congratulations~! ^.^

5. j13

j13 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    congratulations! I admire your courage and can empathise with the situation you found yourself in prior to coming out. Wishing you all the best for the future.

6. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Hello there! :grin: Welcome to EC~ It's wonderful that you've come out and I wish you all the best on your journey and life in general. I hope you're experience here is both safe and enjoyable as well.

Take care!,
    -MvH.

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  8. confuseddreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Brilliant to have you here. You are so well.
    It's brilliant that things are looking much brighter and much better for you. I'm really happy for you.
    everyone here is so caring and supportive here. There is a warmth about EC, that makes it a very special place.
    Do message me if you're feeling worried or down anytime, or would smply like a chat.

9. Leifa

I'm glad you can finally be true to yourself *hugs* I'm happy for you.