1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anybody in there?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by IrishJ, Sep 22, 2015.

1. IrishJ

Hello all,

I have been trying to figure out my sexuality for as long as I can remember. I followed the path of the masses into the hetero lifestyle, wife, kids.

Working with a wonderful therapist, after many failed attempts earlier in life, she has helped me to open up and accept my true sexuality. I am not sure how to define myself or if I need to actually put a label on. Label for who, other than myself and then still seems self-limiting. I know that I am not hetero, am definitely bi-sexual and just maybe gay.

Not concerned with where the wheel will stop, just celebrating this new found self-acceptance and growth that is going on.

I am lucky that I have raised my children to be open-minded and celebrate diversity. If/when I come out, I am sure they will accept me for who I am. I am not so sure about my wife. I can already hear the maliciousness and anger that will spew out. I do not plan on telling her anything until we are separated or divorced. I see no value in sharing my discovery with someone that will not join me.

I am excited, thinking about the upcoming future and the ability to live a genuine life, not hiding.

Thanks for letting me get this out, it feels so much better finding this community.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi.
    Being out to yourself is HUGE. Give yourself parse and credit for that. :eusa_clap

It took me years to get to where you are now (I've been told about that river in Egypt)
    But being out and letting me be me is wonderful.

I've been going to a support group for gay married and I found it helpful.

Best of luck and enjoy your new life. (*hug*)

#2 YermanTom, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  3. Ryu

Ryu

Howdly doodly John! Welcome (kinda, you already have 58 posts...) To EC! I won't bite 20% of the time, and not will anybody else (maybe...) so feel free to chat to anybody if you ever feel like doing so.

By the way, is the title of this thread in any way a reference to comfortably numb by pink floyd or am I over thinking things?

#3 Ryu, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. victoriangirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I totally agree with everything you say. This place seems like a safe place = i am happy!

5. IrishJ

Thanks YermanTom,

Becoming out to myself is just the beginning. I can only wish for a support group for gay/married - probably headed down the road of gay / divorced etc.

RYU, I have definitely found it easier to date, offering advise and kind words, knew it was time to welcome myself and put out there. Looking forward to chatting you all up and you are not overthinking things one bit - Gilmour/Waters.

Victoriangirl, welcome to a happy place - safe place.

Be well all

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! Having been in a similar place as you and gone through the process, much with the help of others on EC, I can say from experience that you have found a great place to help you work through your journey.

Interestingly, one of the considerations I think back to is when I, like you, contemplated first getting divorced before coming out. For me, I concluded to just do everything promptly after I came out to myself. Did the flood gates open, they sure did. But at that point, there certainly was no turning back!

We are here to help!

8. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pleasure to officially "meet" you John! :slight_smile:

9. Sky82

Hi John, hope you're having fun here and meeting some awesome people :slight_smile:

#9 Sky82, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015