1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genders and sexual orientation

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by MayaBee, Oct 18, 2015.

1. MayaBee

I know this sounds really stupid but could someone explain to me, what kinds of genders and sexual orientations are existing? I know what gay, bi, pan and trans means, but when I am in the forum I see definitions like queer or demisexual, where I dont really know what that means... Could someone explain all they know to me?
    (sorry if my english is bad)

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry about not knowing all of them, firstly you can learn a lot on here and a lot of us are happy to help. There are a lot of gender identities and orientations. It'd be hard to cover it all and not miss anything out, but as for the ones you asked...

Demisexual is when you only can feel sexual attraction towards those you have a deep emotional connection with.

Queer is an...arguable term. It is sometimes used to be an umbrella term for any part of the LGBT+ spectrum, and from what I have seen some people ID simply as queer to basically mean not-straight, or genderqueer to mean not cis-gendered. However this term does have its controversies, and people have been debating a long time whether or not it's offensive to use it, when to use it, and how to use it. I don't particularly have a stance on it, but it'd be good to know that some people don't like it being referred to them- but I suppose it is a label some people use to self identify. It's kind of complicated. Anyone feel free to correct anything I've said here.

I can start off by giving a few terms but I'm sure others can add on. For different sexualities there's also asexuality, when someone doesn't feel sexual attraction towards anyone. I've also heard of polysexual; I believe it refers attraction towards many genders/more than one gender, but not all.

As for gender, there are other gender identities such as agender, bigender, and genderfluid. Also demiboy and demigirl, is when someone doesn't fully identify with being a boy or a girl, but partially does.

I hope this helps. If I've gotten anything wrong/missed anything out, anyone please let me know.

#2 Alder, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this site will explain it all if you stay on it and ask lots of questions