1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R.I.P. Steam Giant's PC

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Steam Giant, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

I figured I'd put this in here, since it's more of an announcement. My computer has completely died...like, RIP died, there's no bringing it back. Some piece of hardware has failed, and it's so old and jury-rigged, it could be any number of things. So until I can get a new computer, which could be months or...who knows how long, I'm not going to be on EC as much as I have been. Still, don't be afraid to PM me if you want to ^^ I'll still be able to receive them!

And for the technologically adept, my computer's power supply and processor fan turn on, but that's all that happens. My monitor acts like it's not getting a signal, and if I turn it off and back on agian, it acts like it is getting a signal, but the screen is still blank. The beeper doesn't make any crunching noises, and the buttons on the front of the computer (power and reset) do not function.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you were somewhere near the West Midlands in the UK I'd offer to take a look at it for you. But Pennsylvania is too far away, unfortunately. Any techies near Steam Giant that may be able to help him fix it?

3. Kimi

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your loss...Did I sound like a condolence???

Anyways, I'm gonna miss you:icon_sad: And I'm very sure that there are alot more people who's gonna miss you as much as I will and more(*hug*)

Glad to hear that you still able to come to here:icon_bigg

4. Steam Giant

Thanks, guys ^^ and it's okay Paul! Heh, trouble is, I know a lot of people who think they know lots about computers, and in some areas they do, but none of them have the slightest idea of how computer hardware works. Additionally, the computer repair guys where I live love to rip people off, and frequently encounter problems that they don't know how to fix. Oooh, computers...they make life so easy, right? ; ;

Thanks again for the condolences ^^ and not to worry, I'll try to pop in here at least once a day! Can't promise that I'll be able to do that, but I'll try!

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You would be much, much better off just buying a new computer these days. They're hardly worth repairing. And they've come down hugely in price.

I have an older (4 or 5 years) PC just sitting at my desk at work (it's an old personal machine of mine, totally functional) and you'd be welcome to have it... except for the whole I'm in Vancouver, you're in Pennsylvania thing. It's probably not worth the money to ship it.

But given you're in the States, you should be able to get some sweet deals on a basic PC, right? Like I've seen computers here for $500 or $600 and that includes a monitor most of the time.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In the UK there are quite a lot of PCs on eBay that can't run Vista (things like 1.6GHz Celerons with 256MB RAM) and they tend to sell quite cheaply. You've obviously got the gamble of second hand and eBay sellers, but if there is one local enough to pick up for the right price it could be worth going for.

Also subscribe to your local Freecycle email list. Older working PCs turn up on there sometimes, though they go quickly.

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could try to clear the CMOS memory. Maybe a wrong configuration is preventing it from working. It is done by changing a jumper's position on the motherboard. Refer to your computer's manual, or motherboard's manual.

The good old Polaris (actually the second Polaris, my old computer), had that problem when I got it. I did that and now it works perfectly (albeit slowly... it's 10 years old and my dad needs XP...)

8. Steam Giant

Ahh, cool! Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow (as well as look into those computers as soon as I have money)! I want to try something first...I'm going to replace the power supply, because the symptoms were similar when my power supply died a few years ago, and I was having difficulty with the power supply's fan recently. That should be reletively inexpensive, right? Where would be a good place to order a power supply? Do any of you guys know?

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Power supplies are like... $40 bucks? I think that was what I paid last I bought one.

And yeah, power supply issues can cause weird issues.

Maybe try tigerdirect.com?

10. Swimmerboy

Oh No!!!!! I hope it gets better!:icon_sad:

11. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The exact same thing happened to my old computer and the guy at the shop said it was an almost 100% chance that the motherboard decided it didn't want to live anymore. At that stage we had had so many problems with the thing that my family just decided to buy a new one.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, it sounds like a motherboard problem more than a power supply problem to me. If the power supply turns on and the fan runs it should be working well enough for the PC to at least start booting.

13. Steam Giant

Ahh, thanks for the advice, guys! Yeah, it's an old motherboard...that was on the top of my list of "upgrade when I have the money." The manufacturer doesn't even acknowledge its existence anymore, haha! If it sounds more like the motherboard to you guys, then it's probably best to just buy a new one, since I needed to upgrade a few components anyway.

And thanks for offering me that old computer, Joey ^^ but I imagine the shipping costs would be pretty exorbitant. But thanks anyway ^^ it's very sweet of you to offer!

14. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If your computer is as old as you say it is, just buy a new, pre-built one, it will be far less hassle than finding disparate components that may not even work properly.

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree. Have a look at the "Dell Outlet" section of the Dell website. "Outlet" PCs are ones which have been bought and returned, or ones which were made but then they couldn't charge to the credit card so never sent out. Any faults are fixed and they are in as-new condition. They are often 20% or more cheaper than new, and have a full one year warranty (you would need to check the warranty though as they might only be 30 or 90 days in some countries).

We have used several Dell Outlet PCs and they have all been fine. Our current laptops Inspiron 640m machines from Dell Outlet, and they looked like brand new when they arrived. Excellent little PCs!

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem... it's not a big deal because it really wouldn't be worth your while. I seriously echo what the other people here have said: just buy a cheap new one. Doing more than extremely minor repairs on a computer is pointless and a waste of money. You'll end up costing yourself far more in the long run.

17. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i hope your new computer will be good. our computer blew up once and we had to get a new one and even a new screen

18. Steam Giant

Thanks for the info, Paul! And thanks again, everyone ^^ you've all been very helpful! Now all I need is money, heh.

19. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    did you got your new computer yet steamgiant???

20. Steam Giant

Heh, not yet...it's going to be a few months before I can afford a new one. Thankfully, my roomate's been totally awesome with allowing me to use her computer ^^