1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, new here, looking for support for my daughter and I

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by StarGazer7117, Oct 26, 2015.

1. StarGazer7117

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi, my name is Rebekah. I am new to this site, it was recommended that I join, by my daughter Maya (also a member of this sight) I have been struggling, because we are from a heavily religious family, and since she came out as transgender, I have decided to be accepting, but my husband and I have had little support from our family. Maya said this web site has helped her a lot, and it might help me too.

She also says I should say a bit about myself; I am very interested in science, particularly astronomy, as my username suggests. I am studying math because it has been a lifelong goal of mine to study science, and the two go hand in hand.

I enjoy reading a lot, particularly light fantasy, as well as historical novels. I particularly like Harry Potter, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Quicksilver and many others.
    I play the piano a lot, especially Bach and I play in church.

I honestly do not have that much to say about myself (Maya pressured me to write this much) so I guess I'm going to stop here.

It's nice to join this community, hoping to find some support

Rebekah

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome, Rebekah!

It takes a lot of courage to stand with your daughter when you don't have a lot of support from your family. I admire and appreciate your willingness to be there for your daughter; sadly, particularly in deeply religious families, this is pretty uncommon, and as you may know, the risks of depression and suicide to the children are great. Your support means the world to your daughter.

EC is here to help in any way possible. We have a section for parents and family, you might want to read through some of the threads there, and post any questions you may have. We have quite a few parents in the same place you are.

You may also want to reach out to your local PFLAG chapter (there's one in nearly every city, pflag.org will help you find one.) PFLAG is full of parents just like you struggling with the same issues, and I think you'll find a lot of support and encouragement there.

Please let us know if we can help in any way.

3. lovely lesbian

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are one awesome Mum.

5. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

6. festivalhinge

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi Rebekah. I too am new here, and joined to support my daughter.

(Did you get the BBC TV Jonathan Strange drama in the US? If you did, wasn't it wonderful! And, if you didn't, you've a treat coming.)

7. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello!

It's great that you're here for your daughter. Even if you are struggling with all of this, you being here means that you want to help her and understand her, which is more than can be said for many parents of LGBT+ people, including my own. So you're doing fabulously already! :grin:

Everyone here is very friendly in my experience, so I hope that you find the information and support that you need :grin:

- Abrey