1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi...and a not so little introduction.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by justemoi, Dec 30, 2015.

1. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi to all! Not sure if this is the right place to write this, but here goes. It is not that easy for me to do this, but I have to start somewhere (have toyed with thecae of this website for a long time). Please know that I am just writing what is going through my mind. I hope that I do not offend anyone with what I say for that is not at all my intention. I have dealt with it all for so long that my thoughts may not be that clear, and what I say may not be comprehensible to you, but makes sense in my mind, so please bear with me.

Will start by saying that the road to accepting that I am gay has been a really difficult one (not yet complete), but I am gay (still have that wall that’s trying to rebuild itself, trying to convince me that I am not)…I won’t get into all of that. All I’ll say is that I’ve always known, but never did explore it (for various reasons). I had literally shut down my sex drive for over 10 years (this I believe to prevent and protect myself from criticisms, and also I didn’t want to believe it). Btw, I a 34 years old.

Now I face a difficult decision: telling people! I know that I don’t have to tell everyone, and that I should do it in my own time, but I want to (if you can understand that) let certain people who are close to me know (and I only get close to very few people). I believe that my fears are unwarranted, but it’s still daunting.

I know that many will be shocked as I don’t come across as the “stereotypical gay guy” (it has been jokingly said when with some friends…had some guys fall head over heals for me, and my friends said that if I had turned out to be gay, that would be the biggest shock of their lives). And yes, I know that gay men come in all “shapes and sizes”, but unfortunately the stereotype is there, and once I come out as gay, my fear is that who I am would disappear and my identity would become my sexual orientation, and I’d be characterised and treated according to these said stereotypes.

Sorry…rambling on, and got a bit off topic there. Lol! My main concern is about those that I care for the most; those that have managed to break down many of my walls (except this one). I’ve only now accepted it; can’t fathom telling others. You should know that I have confided in a friend (we hardly see each other, but often speak on Facebook…felt sick when I told her, but her reaction was what I needed…she really couldn’t be bothered and didn’t change the way she treated me…she just jokingly said that now she wouldn’t have to be jealous of the girl that got me…however it should be noted that I didn’t choose her by accident…whilst she and I may be close, we hardly see each other so it would have hurt much less if she were to say anything negative or reject me).

I’m just afraid of what will happen, how they’d react. I’m sure that there will be a reaction; just not sure what.

It’s getting harder as I want to start meeting guys. And that’s another story. Not to offend anyone, but I’ve never liked the whole LGBT scene (I support it, one shouldn’t expect to see me waving any flags in the gay pride…I just don’t want to, because I am gay, constantly be around other gay people as if, as previously stated, it were my identity. I had a gay friend who was in a relationship, and ALL his friends were gay, that’s all they every talked about, etc. I just wanted to talk about TV shows, or UFC…even politics. I knew another gay person who would literally constantly remind everyone that he was gay, but degrade himself in doing so, until one day I told him that I didn’t run around telling people that I was straight, nor should he keeping telling people that he is gay simply because no one cared), or gay bars and clubs. I am a very conservative person, and would like the person I end up with to be like me. But how and where could I meet someone like me? Plus, I don’t like Internet dating (the fact that I’m on this forum is not like me). So, I don’t know where to start. And my neck of the woods isn’t the best area for finding gay guys…except if you want to meet up with someone in the park at night, and that’s a big NO for me!

Now for the kicker…I have helped many of my friends come out often closet. I was often the first person that they told and supported them through it all (I believe that I was living vicariously through some of them). I am also a psychologist and have helped some of my clients come to terms with their sexuality. However when it comes to me, I’m stuck!
    I honestly don’t know what to expect with this message. I think that I just wanted to get some of it off my chest…and maybe see if I am not alone in this.

And I know that I may speak in riddles, or say things without really saying anything. If anything isn’t clear, or you would like some clarification, don’t hesitate to ask (however if it’s too personal, I’d politely decline).

I’d just like to say thank you for reading this. I know that it is a bit (very) long, and I do apologise for that. However thanks for getting to the end of this message if you did! And btw, it’s 2 in the morning, so I may be a bit incoherent at times. Lol!

Goodnight to all! :slight_smile:
    Justemoi :slight_smile:

2. Isarene

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi! Welcome to EC :icon_wink :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. killswitch0029

welcome to EC :smilewave

4. canyontrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I'm a bit in a similar situation as you, so I understand your "rambling" very well. It took me a long time to accept my feelings as well and I'm certainly still not there yet and I face some similar fears as you do.
    Hope this place will be of some help for the both of us.

Since I'm very new here I'm not sure I'm in a position to welcome you to this forum, but I'll do it anyways :slight_smile:.

Welcome to EC!

5. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks! Had a little trouble figuring out the site...didn't realise that someone had responded.

Thanks to everyone!!

New or not, your "welcome" is "welcomed"!! Lol!! Welcome to you as well, canyontrix!! Feels good that someone understands (although I believe that many others have experienced something similar).

I came out to my best friend from my home country the other day. She said that she had known for years and was waiting for me to come out with it on my own. She told me that nothing changed...and she was right. We're talking our usual rubbish again. Lol!!

Still though, having some difficulties. As you said, hope this forum helps.

Happy New Year 2016 to you all as well!! :slight_smile:

6. Night Rain

Hi there!

This is not actually true in my experience. I can relate to a certain extent. I think to some people, when they come out, they also change their whole lives around. They feel more relaxed and comfortable to do things that they once considered "gay" and didn't want to be associated with. They no longer pretend to be straight, or homophobic even, stop making gay jokes, associating with homophobic people just to strengthen their straight identity. They make new friends (to replace the old homophobic ones), cut their ties with homophobic family members, make drastic changes in their life. I think that's when your old identity will be lost and the new friends will treat you according to gay stereotypes. Of course eventually, everything will adjust and the gay aspect of your life will not be as important anymore. However in your case, I don't think there will be many changes. Sure with this sort of things, you may lose some friends and gain some more, but the you that everyone knows is still the same.

This is who you are. Your friends know you're a gay-friendly person. You coming out won't change any of that, and they will support you just as you did them. When I came out, my friends didn't really change the way they act around me or treat me differently. Everything was almost the same way it had been before. Some slight changes are to be expected, but overall things get much better. Worst case scenario is they start discussing guys around you. Not sure if that's bad actually, haha!:lol: Besides, if you don't like it, you can always tell them it's not your thing. They'll understand.

I can relate (except for the UFC...) but has it ever occurred to you that you noticed these things because stereotypes tend to stand out? I'm sure there are gay guys who are just like you, but you never know they were gay unless they say so (which they of course rarely do, it's not something they go about announcing). Now where to find them? Oh well, I can't really say. Maybe it all comes down to luck. You keep doing all the things you love and maybe one day you'll meet someone doing so? 34 isn't too old. If you dislike the gay scene as much as me, then age isn't a disadvantage. I'm saying these things but I'm stuck as well... So good luck to you!

7. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, shyguy79. However I won't say well done to me just yet. Part of me is trying to push me back, to deny this part of me. In the past, when I used to "condition myself" to look at girls, part of me would say that I was living a lie. Now having "accepted" it, I'm struggling to keep at it. I guess its simply my personal fears.

8. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Night Rain, I enjoyed reading what you said except for the "34 isn't too old" bit (Are you implying then that I in fact am old?! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Kidding...Lol!!).

I never really saw things that way and it was a rather interesting point of view.

I have never associated with homophobic people. I've also realised that I tend to "go back in the closet" so to speak (well, haven't been out that long) when they hit on me, or when a gay "friend" (who hides it as he's married with kids) tried to "make the most of our friendship", convinced that everyone was bisexual and so wanted to try things with me (that was years ago when I was telling myself that I was straight). I would not only become straight, but also a typical, stereotypical straight man and push them away (not in an nasty way, I'd just put limits).

However I remember at a fair here (where a bunch of small organisations/associations get together, promoting their work), I was talking to a gay guy of a gay association and he was rather "masculine". I didn't mind that he was checking me out. I actually (really) enjoyed it and that was the first time I could have gone for someone (or rather would have allowed myself to go for someone).

The hardest part was coming out to myself. I remember praying the rosary (I'm Catholic) to ask God to guide me, almost crying, asking Him to help me understand my feelings, the way I am...long story. However those 9 days were the first time I had ever really confronted that part of myself. By the end of it, I was entertaining the idea. :slight_smile:

May be strange, but I do not want certain people knowing, because I do not want to give them the satisfaction of their knowing that they were "right". For example, there was this gay guy who had trouble coming out so believed that all men were gay and would find the most ridiculous reasons to prove that someone was gay. For me, I was too nice and polite to be a straight man. For others, they were too masculine so were overcompensating. He would always try to trap me into "outing myself" and pressure, or force me to admit that I was. Stupid as he was quite cute. Lol!!

I do apologise for my long posts...It's just that I have kept all this in for so long that it feels good finally being able to talk about it.

9. Night Rain

Hey, I enjoyed typing all that too (and reading what you wrote of course)! I agree, 34 is not too old, just slightly old. JK! My ex is 34, so there's that!

This is just like my first crush. He was gay but would never admit it. He always seemed so unhappy despite his bright (and prettiest ever) smile.

You're just freshly out. Take it slow. Don't rush things like I did and ruin everything. I think after coming out, a lot of guys immediately look for a partner in order to validate their (newly earned) gay status, when they are not ready. You just came out of a completely straight life, so a lot of things will feel strange to you, which will make a date/relationship go south. It's good that you're only entertaining the idea. Remember, one step at a time!

This is completely normal! There are people you don't want to come out to because they don't need to know, in your case, that gay guy who just needs a reason to believe he's right, and in my case, my parents. As long as their not knowing you're gay doesn't affect your (dating) life, it should be fine. To me, there are only 2 reasons why one would need to know about my sexuality:
    1. They are interested in me/I am interested in them.
    2. I'm partnered and I want my guy to be recognized (the worst feeling in a relationship is to have to pretend you're friends because your partner doesn't want others to know about the relationship).

If they ask me, I'll tell. If they know through someone else, that's great. There's just no need to tell them on my own. So there's no reason for you to tell that gay guy about your sexuality either (unless it's your special technique to get them to confide in you or something lol!).

Oh, PS: Long posts are the best posts!

10. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bienvenu, justemoi. (Welcome, justemoi). :welcome:

J'espère que vous puissiez obtenir ceci que vous vouliez. (I hope that you can get what you want).

Sorry for the possible mistakes.

Thank you for trusting EC and let me tell you that you will not lose your identity for being out to certain people.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us. :slight_smile:

11. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Night Rain, don't encourage me, because I can talk...a lot!! Lol!!

Don't worry...not rushing at all. Only two people know and that's fine by me.

When with some friends, they may see a woman and then believe that she is my type. I smile to myself thinking, "You are so wrong!!" Lol!!

And as I've told my friends, and some of my clients, their being gay isn't their identity, and no one's business. I never had to go around letting people know that I was straight (when I hid it from myself), so why does someone who is gay have to let people know?! One gay guy explained that it was because people were trying to set him up with women, or to defend others against homophobic people. In any case, I am who people see in front of them.

I have a friend that I believe knows...in fact, two of them. But neither is pressuring me...I believe that it hasn't yet hit as I haven't vocalised it yet. Only via e-mail through close friends I've known for years (one for over a decade). No, not internet friends. We kew each other, but then I migrated, or another returned home.

And I wouldn't say that I am freshly out. I'm just peaking through the closet. Lol!!

12. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. If I can help you, let me know.

13. Night Rain

Hey there person who is peaking out of the closet! :grin:

Initially you said you wanted to start meeting new guys. I think you should work on coming out first. Once you're completely out and comfortable with the new identity as well as the thought of being together with a guy (and the associated nasty stuff lol!), then it's a good time to seek a partner. Who knows, you may meet him along the way and figure things out together. Just don't worry about finding the right guy (not yet anyway)!

14. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, I want to meet someone, but I still have to "come to terms" with everything. The "feelings" are there; however I know to take it slowly. I guess that I am just open to it now.

I'll explain...it might be a bit "graphic", but it could help you understand how difficult it is right now for me.

As I've said before (but doubt very clearly), I had shut down for over a decade...I shut down my sex drive (sorry if I'm a little too detailed) and so wouldn't look at anyone, man or woman. However it had gotten more and more difficult.

I was at a fair (one I believe I spoke of earlier) and was speaking to a gay guy about his association (was curious as wasn't sure what it was about...it was an acapella group daily for LGBT, but also straight people). To be honest, I "wanted him"!! I remember that he was wearing this purple sweater, and it fitted him nicely. You could tell that he worked out and in my mind, I just wanted to put my hands all over him, and maybe rip off that sweater. The feelings that I have repressed for so long are fighting their way out (but I am being careful not to do anything stupid that I would regret later...sorry if I am a little too graphic...). He was checking me out...and I was being "charming"; however he didn't know that I was gay. That was a few days after kinda accepting it myself. What was also funny was that as his unattractive friend was rig to hit on me. Lol!!

The thing is, I felt alive!! I also "charmed" another guy afterwards...and it felt so natural...it felt good!! However this feeling is only temporary and I often find myself trying to push back my feelings.

More and more, I'm allowing myself to look at guys, and comment to myself if they're hot or not. The problem is, all those years of shutting down, not expressing myself are coming back...I have even stopped watching the final episodes of a certain tv series (or certain series on a whole) because the guys in it (well, the main stars) get me feeling stuff, and I have to use all my self-control to "cool down" (I basically get horny, like really horny sometimes)...it's sometimes really bad where I would pace up and down, and force myself to cool off...I have over a decade of emotions, etc. that have piled up, and I need to focus it. I'm not lying, it is sometimes painful!!

I'm tired of putting it off, but I know that I have to be cautious and not let my emotions and whatnot take over. And that's why I am trying to be in control, all the while allowing myself to look.

What is also difficult is that my mind is pushing my back. For example, I am gay, but only on rare occasions do I really accept it. For most of the other times, I am like, "Maybe I am."

So, whilst I may want to find someone, to start "living this part of my life", I first need to really come to terms with who I am.

15. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The boy in purple could be an option. Maybe you could approach to him as a friend first and then see how things go.

Advice: don't repress your feelings. If you look at hot guys, you can tell yourself: "This guy is hot". If you watch TV series, enjoy if the main stars are hot. As you said, it's been a decade of repressed emotions. Sometimes it's painful. I know.

Being in control is also good, but with moderation.

16. Night Rain

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. You're overwhelmed with the changes and possibilities. Everything is so exciting, I bet! It has been, what, only 9 days? So your mind naturally will try and bring you back to the old you. There will come a day when your mind will give in and go along with it (I'm thinking within this year). :wink:

Hey, if things work out with any of those guys, maybe you should just go ahead and start dating! That would be going all out, facing this whole ordeal with the big guns!

At the end of the day, it's still up to you. But from what I see, you're doing great so far. There's no right or wrong way to go about this. It's different for each person. So just do what you feel is right. If your mind is strong enough, let it win this time. Eventually, it will stop interfering with you. :slight_smile: Then it will be your turn to stop it from telling you to chase after guys haha!

17. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the support...almost bought a tear to my eye (actually I never cry...I was even when the doctor slapped me when I was born!!) Lol!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But seriously, it's good to finally be able to speak about it. I actually accepted that I am, like really accepted on 27th September, 2015, when I started my self-psychoanalysis (advantage of being a psychologist); however only told someone 3rd December, 2015; and my best friend from my home country on 3rd January, 2016 (a month apart...wow!!). Sorry for the dates...I just remember everything, in the minutest of detail (that being said, I have to be careful when thinking about anything, like the guy in the purple sweater because it's like I live it all again).

The guy in the purple sweater...not an option. It was just a huge fair with many, MANY associations. I was even there promoting mine. So I was just doing the rounds looking for giveaways (and I scored big...you sometimes have to work for them, so flirted with the old ladies, charmed everyone to get things, worked my accent,...). Lol!!

So he was just a passer-by...but even thinking about him now makes me wonder!! Lol!! I guess why I mentioned him was because it was the first time I allowed myself to look.

I just need to take things in stride for I have over a decade (ashamed to really say how much time) of pent up feelings of things, not only of my sexuality, to deal with.

However Night Rain, exciting wouldn't be the word I'd use...lol!! I am a bit annoyed with myself for "shutting down" for all those years.

And yes, BlueLion, I do see take note when guys are hot. The advantage of being a native English speaker in a French speaking country is that, if I were to ever slip up and express myself out loud, no one would understand me. Lol!!

18. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. :lol:

19. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! Welcome to EC justemoi!

It is great that everyone is getting along well here ^^

Just a quick reminder, for security reasons, all communication in EC must be done in English :slight_smile: Empty Closets - Code of Conduct

Thanks for understanding!

20. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi!! Sorry...didn't know that. Just wrote a couple of lines in French I think, but translated them. Only English from now on.