1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, I'm Rocks and Plants (Not sure how this works)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by rocksandplants, Dec 30, 2015.

1. rocksandplants

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not good with introductions, but I'll do my best here.

I'm currently 22, male, and in my post-graduate studies. Despite how old I am already, I am completely inexperienced: never been in a relationship, never been involved with a fling, never kissed, never had sex, etc. However, I develop romantic feelings for both guys and girls...although, since I grew up in an all-boys school, I've had a much greater number of guys liked. Despite all that, I am often branded as asexual by those who have no idea that I develop romantic feelings because I do have a tendency to rationalize or intellectualize feelings, AND, when I do start to feel like there could be a possibility of me liking a particular individual, I either (1) push them away by avoiding them or by convincing them that leaving me be is the wisest option, or (2) I try my best to get close to them so that I can use to their presence and convince myself that they are just friends from that point onward. Whenever people who barely know me ask why I have remained single at the moment - and most of them would assume I'm either gay or asexual - I just say that I hate people in general...which is partly true.

With just that, I could have simply proclaimed myself as asexual. But, my confusion came in when I realized I have fallen in love with a very close friend who is a self-proclaimed asexual, and this is why I'm here. I already told him, but I sort of taken his vague answers and inability to respond as simple rejection. I love him and he loves me too...as a friend I guess. Now, doesn't that make me homosexual? But, what if all I want is to be with the person...and nothing more. With the absence of sexual urges and just the presence of pure affection, could that be referred to as sexuality? If I start to feel butterflies towards any gender, what does that make me? The friends I confide in are divided: some say I'm bisexual and some say still asexual. Therefore, yes, again, I'm not sure what I am...except that, i have to admit, that I am any of the following except straight.

I guess I'll end my introduction (as to why I am here) there and detail the rest in a separate thread and/or blog.

Sincerely,
    Rocks and Plants

P.S. my username came from the fact that I have been regarded as a rock (with no feelings) by my peers and the person I have grown to love calls himself a plant (as some sort of metaphor for asexuality).

2. I'm_Danni_x

:welcome: to Empty Closets, you will enjoy it here. People give amazing and really helpful advice. When it comes to your sexuality only you will know within time who you are attracted to. You don't need to put a label on yourself already if you are confused, figure yourself out first and then look for labels you feel comfortable with. You do sound like you are a homoromantic asexual, this means you are romantically attracted to your own sex but not sexually/physically attracted to them. If you are romantically attracted to other genders, you could be biromantic asexual or a panromantic asexual.

#2 I'm_Danni_x, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, and welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

I'm not going to assign any label to you, and I'm not going to define anyone's "sexuality"; all I'll say is that you can be attracted to someone (even strongly) and it doesn't have to be a sexual type of attraction. :thumbsup: Forget labels, you are who you are.

Not sure my advice is useful, but welcome to EC anyways.