1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So here it starts

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by canyontrix, Jan 1, 2016.

1. canyontrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,
    I'll try to keep this introduction short :slight_smile:.
    I've been looking around this forum for some time now, but I guess it's finally time to start getting a bit more active.
    It took me a lot of time to accept that I'm gay. Mostly because I always was ( and am) afraid to be different and tried to fit it with the rest. And almost all my friends are (officially) straight ( always had the feeling the entire world is straight and I'm just the one not fitting in).

Almost a year or so ago, I spontaneously told a female friend friend who was at that time exploring her own bisexuality, while I was quite drunk. It felt amazing, not having to bare this secret alone anymore. I asked her not to discuss this further with me until I was ready, and unfortunately to this day we haven't.

I live in one of the more tolerant and accepting countries in the world, but I'm still finding it difficult to come out. I don't have openly gay people amongst my closest friends, but do certainly know quite a few gay people. (More like friends of friends)

Anyways, this simple hello already got a lot longer than I intended :slight_smile:.
    I just hope to find some nice people here to chat with and to have some advice.
    I'm also not really active on a lot of internet fora, so that's new for me too.

So, in conclusion: Hi everyone!

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello there, welcome to EC! :wave: Coming out to people then never talking about it again sounds wayyyyy too familiar :lol:

3. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello! You don't need to feel pressured to tell anybody, even though it feels good to get it off of your chest. Try telling you closest friends first, ones that you know aren't anti-lbgtqa+ I don't think it is a good idea to tell family until you know you are ready. Its good that you live in an accepting country, that could make it easier to find more openly gay people. I wish you the best of luck!

4. canyontrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  5. penelope

Hey and welcome! :slight_smile: Having even one person who knows really helps and after the first one it's probably gonna get easier. :slight_smile: You'll know when you're ready and comfortable for more people to know, don't try to rush it. It gave me a lot of anxiety. I think EC is gonna be a great place for you! :slight_smile:

6. justemoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll be honest. Was curious about your post after what you wrote on mine; and yes, we share similar experiences. I understand what it feels like to not have to bear your secret alone...its a weight lifted off your shoulder. I won't bore you with the details as to how much I stressed when I told two of my friends.

Even is you're in a tolerant region, it is still difficult. I think that the most important person to accept that you are gay is yourself. I say that as I am having trouble accepting it, even though my closest friend has accepted it, or rather really doesn't care that I am gay. I'm still wondering if I'm wrong and maybe I haven't given women a fair chance.

In any case, I'm trying to figure out what is the next step?! However taking it slow!!

Take care!! :slight_smile:

7. TeruTeruBouzu

Welcome canyontrix. I hope you enjoy it hereļ¼ Even if it can be intimidating coming out can make you feel much better.

8. IrishJ

Welcome to EC Canyontrix. Happy that you were able to share your secret with your friend while drunk. If you think that feels good, wait until you can tell someone when you are sober and they are there for you. Good stuff, enjoy the journey - J

9. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

10. canyontrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, it took me more than a week after my first post to get back on here.
    Still a bit scared I guess, even if I'm completely anonymous on here.

But thanks for all the positive comments. It really means a lot that a lot of people face similar challenges :slight_smile:.