1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To This

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by SharpEdges919, Jan 14, 2016.

1. SharpEdges919

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys!
    I'm both new to this forum and *somewhat* new to LGBT stuff. I realized about 2 years ago that I was lesbian. This was after 17 years of being straight, or so I thought.
    I grew up in a Christian home, with a VERY conservative family, and for that reason, they are the only ones who don't know about my sexuality. Just trying to find the right time to tell them...

Aaaaanyways... I looooove music. I'm in college now, studying to be a music teacher. If it wasn't for music, I don't know where my life would be. Ummmm... what else about me? I work retail to put myself through college. My parents are big on teaching us all (me and my 3 siblings) independence, so we're pretty much on our own once we go off to school.

I'm very lucky to have a huge support group of friends and a couple distant family members who love me for who I am. I haven't had any issues with my self confidence in years, but it did take a big hit when I started to wonder about my sexuality. Now that I'm used to it (I guess that's the best way to say it), I am perfectly comfortable with being lesbian. I'm very open about it when I meet new people or when people ask me questions about it. I hope to someday be an advocate of sorts, or maybe even a support for teenagers who are struggling with similar issues to what I, and many of us, are dealing with.

2. Timelord3791

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi! I'm new to this website too. And REALLY new to the LGBT community. I Have just recently began to really question my sexuality. I always sort of questioned it but I just kind of pushed it to the back of my mind. I feel really confused at this point and I am really conflicted. If I am bi or gay I know that some of my friends and all of my family members except for my mom are homophobic. It's one of the reasons I'm not that close to my extended family. I know that if I do decide that is who I am that it would be really hard to come out to them. I almost just want to be told that I am gay though. At least then I wouldn't be in this "I don't know" phase.
    Anyway...
    That's awesome that you are studying to be a music teacher! I love music too. I agree, I have no clue what I would do without it. My dream is to get into a conservatory but that's highly unlikely. I think it would be amazing though.

3. SharpEdges919

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been struggling a bit lately with whether I'm bi and repressing my thoughts for guys or if I'm actually gay. It's getting kind of annoying, but it's led me to just tell people I have a girlfriend instead of calling myself a lesbian while I figure it out.

But, like you, I'm still unsure, and I just want to figure it out. I'm hesitant to come out to my family until I figure it out for sure because they're all homophobic. I don't want to create more confusion than is necessary.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welcome to EC! Everyone's quite friendly and caring on here so I'm sure you'll fit right in! :slight_smile: