1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of the deck

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Lexthebex, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Lexthebex

Hello everyone. I hope you're all having a stress-free, pleasant month so far. My name is Alexis, or Lex, either's fine. This is just my introduction post, I don't really have anything important to say. I guess I'll tell you lot about my coming out stories. Okay, so I've always been a little obvious about my aversion to romance/sex and discussion about it.

I can't recall exact dates because my memory is terrible due to something that happened in my childhood, but I remember the times vaguely. It was sometime in 2013 that my oldest sister came across the word 'asexual' and we had a long talk about it. I looked up more about it later and eventually I came to use it for myself, but I still occasionally struggle with the knowledge that I'm not straight like I thought.

It was much later that I started questioning my romantic orientation and gender identity. In the beginning of 2015, I hesitantly began using 'biromantic' to describe myself, but a bit later, I discovered 'quoiromantic', and thought that fit, because I was unsure of my orientation. Eventually I just gave up and decided to call myself queer/gay. Around July of 2015, I learned the term 'genderfluid' and I thought this was what I was, because I began openly dressing in my brother's hand-me-downs and I imagined I was him while I wore his clothes, but people were still calling me she and her, and I thought that's how it was supposed to be. For a month, I used it, because I was always scared to label myself trans. I thought I had no right to use it. August of 2015 came around and I said, 'fuck it, I'm using transman'.

It was in September that I came out to my siblings. November-January, to my friends (it was a slow process because I have anxiety and kept talking myself out of it and making up worst possible scenarios in my head). Yesterday, I emailed a new professor I'm going to have. The next step is my extended family. When that will be, I've no idea.

Well, more about me I guess! I'm about to enter my second semester, still my first year, of community college, studying psychology. I'm an atheist. I'm obsessed with Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and Steven Universe. I like using tumblr. I like to play Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Grand Theft Auto Five. My favorite color is green. I was born with asthma. I'm near-sighted and wear glasses. I can't do basic math. My favorite subject in school was history. I like listening to Halsey and Twenty One Pilots. Wolves are my favorite animals.

Thank you for reading my long-winded post; I didn't intend for it to be that long. I hope I can make some friends on here.

2. Lyana

Welcome to EC, Lex. I hope you enjoy the forums. And congratulations for your progress in coming out so far.

3. NateC7

Welcome to EC! You'll find a lot of support here and not just for coming out.

Also, you share about half of my interest: Harry Potter, Steven Universe, green, gaming, Psychology, History, and wolves. And do not be ashamed of having trouble with basic math. I have a lot of trouble with math as well, and it has some to do with me being hard of hearing and having adhd.

I'm happy to chat about any of those or offer any advice you might need :slight_smile:

Finally have a hug because hugs are nice (*hug*)

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welcome to EC! Everyone is friendly here! :slight_smile:

5. Riz

Riz

Welcome! You seem like a very nice person and I'm glad you've come to terms with your identity ^_^

6. Lexthebex

Thank you everyone for all your warm welcomes! Nate, that's pretty rad we share similar interests! Thanks Riz for saying I'm nice, lol. Not a lot of people tell me that. xD

7. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome!

It certainly sounds like you went through a very anxious and confusing period. I’m inspired to hear how you decided to stop worrying about all the different labels and started to just be you – that’s great!

By the way – huge Skyrim fan as well.