1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by treelover, Feb 4, 2016.

1. treelover

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi there, this is my first post. I am not gay or anything (I don't know if that is against the rules or not, sorry if it is). I decided to register here because I have a very good friend who is gay; he has expressed his attraction for me on occassion, very flattering, but thats it.

Anyways, this friend had decided to start the process of changing his gender. I support him completely because if it makes him happy I think it is a good thing. I decided to register here so I could learn more about the things he will be going through. I also want to talk to learn here because one of my best friends is about to change his body to the gender he identifies with. I think I should at least be partially informed about it.

So, that is my story here. :icon_bigg . I hope to learn a lot and have a lot of conversations about a lot of subjects (I have a lot more interests and hobbies than just what my friend is up to lol) and make friends.

#1 treelover, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. kaz2y5Dean

Well I've never heard anything against it(You being on here I mean). Glad you're doing this for your friend. It's actually really cool how you want to learn more about it.
    Welcome to EC

3. treelover

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks.

My interest in it started out of mere courtesy, I didn't want to accidentally say or do anything which would offend him so I wanted to be informed; but my desire to learn about it has expanded a lot into what kind of things he will face, how his body will change, etc...

Thanks a lot.

4. lyonhaart

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Heyhey
    I'm new here too. Question though. You're calling your friend "him" while they're going through their personal process. Does that mean that they're starting to refer to themselves as a male now or were they previously seen as a male. If they were previously seen as a male, you should ask them about their preferred pronouns so you don't trigger any dysphoria and anxiety. It will help them a lot. Hope they'll be okay.

5. treelover

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks. Sorry. This has bounced around in my head. He is still currently 'him' at this point biologically, but transitioning to female - the identified gender, so I will refer to him as her from now on, she would appreciate that I bet. :slight_smile:. Honesty, when we are hanging out together we never refer to eachother as anything pronoun wise. So this issue really hasn't come up.

Thanks for the information, I have doubts how I should refer to her and I have been too afraid to ask because I didnt want to offend :icon_sad:

6. kaz2y5Dean

I honestly think that the best way is to show you mean no disrespect and would like to know their pronous. Asking would be the best way to go about that.. They should understand

#6 kaz2y5Dean, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  7. lyonhaart

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, Kaz has the right idea, ask if they would prefer her/she. Although, I do know of some trans people who have just stuck with they/them during their transition to avoid triggers.

8. treelover

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ok, thanks. I'll ask since I have your opinions. It has always been kind of a subject that I have tried to avoid; but I'll ask just so we can be clear.