1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by gravwavesisbae, Mar 13, 2016.

1. gravwavesisbae

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello,

So I'm at a bit of a loss for what to start with, so I'm just gonna start typing and see what happens.

I am a 19 year-old college student who up until 2015 year had at least some sort of confidence in their identity. I had grown up in a very Catholic, conservative space and had usually done what was expected of me. In kind of a stereotypical fashion, I attended Catholic school for ten years, went to an all-male Catholic high school that advocated well-intentioned but highly patriarchal values, and fit into the nice Catholic boy stereotype. I devoted myself entirely to my work, tried to become the ~perfect student~, and kinda shut out everything else that wasn't conducive to that path. I never had a relationship, never had a real crush, and never even had my first kiss.

I was also an actor, and through theater I met many gay and lesbian artists whom I often did high school productions with. Theater also introduced me to drag. I had done two productions in high school in which I played a character in drag, mostly because I was the only one open to it. I continued to do drag when I got to college. Mostly it was within a theatrical context, but there were a series of "sexual liberation" parties I went to with friends where I wore varying degrees of makeup and sometimes dresses. Looking back it seemed a bit appropriative, especially since I had not personally identified with drag culture, but at the time it was fun and freeing.

The best way to explain the next part is that, honestly, I had thought nothing of my crossdressing habit, until, well, I started thinking about it. I started to question why I enjoyed drag so much, why I wanted so badly to wear makeup and dresses, why I sucked so much at masculinity, etc. I realized I was the only person I knew doing this, and felt like something must be wrong with me. I had this terrible period of depression and thoughts of suicide, and started going to a therapist. They didn't help and ended up just putting me on medication that I really didn't think I needed. I eventually tried to shut all of this out, telling myself, "You are a MAN. And you just need to grow up." Safe to say that reasoning didn't work for long, lol.

In addition to the fact that my gender is literally a mess, I did end up having my first kiss in college with one of my best male friends. We were both highly intoxicated so I don't know how legitimate/consensual it was, but it happened. Ever since then, I have been trying to figure out just where I lie on the spectrum of, well, everything. I am physically attracted to women, but that does not mean I haven't had fantasies about men and non-binary people I've met. I'm just really trying to sort out my feelings, and honestly typing this has really helped.

As of right now, I identify as a fairly femme-y man/androgyne who is probably bisexual, but more than anything I'm questioning. EVERYTHING. I'm so grateful to have a space where I can put all my thoughts and feelings out there. Happy to meet all of you <3

#1 gravwavesisbae, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome!

This is a great place to write, discuss, learn, etc. I encourage you to keep asking questions, keep exploring, find your path. You aren't alone, we are glad to have you here.

3. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! You are at the right left for support :wink:

4. Amal

Welcome, I think you found the right place for support on how to figure yourself out.

5. Bing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It helps a lot to speak it out or write it down. I hope you're feeling much better now.

Bing

6. SongBird300

Out Status:
    A few people
    Writing really does help. I'm use to keeping journals but tonight I realized there is no support there and I always have a fear of someone reading my thoughts. First time on this site but I feel in good company.

7. Inis

Hello grav and Welcome :slight_smile:
    I hope to read about you more on this forum!

Ehhh... theatre... it's my true love. It makes me feel free and deeply linked to my interiority. We have a passion in common ^^

8. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

9. gravwavesisbae

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm so happy to hear that someone else loves theatre, too! And I totally relate to the interiority link. Sometimes I feel like I'm not super connected with my emotions, but give me a good play and the feels just start pouring out. It's so wonderful!

10. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad you found EC! It's a great place to vent, reach out and see who else is going through the same stuff you are. Keep it up!

11. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welcome to EC! :slight_smile: