1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double edge sword

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by verseau, May 2, 2016.

1. verseau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone,

I am glad that this resource exists. I have had gay feelings since age six. In my culture (African American) these feelings are unacceptable. There is a history of abuse (verbal and physical) in my family a lot of family feuds. I have always thought that my coming out would only create more problems. My mother and sisters are very accepting of LGBT and they have LGBT friends but I have not come out to them because of the awkwardness rather than fear. My older brothers have detected I am gay, and have said homophobic comments and bullied me. In school, particularly high school I have always been quiet (as a result of the abuse I witnessed and experienced). I have severe social anxiety and fear of rejection and it is affecting normal healthy relationships. As of today I have no close friends. I fell out of contact with all of them after becoming homeless, and I have had little interest in forming close relationships after being betrayed over and over even by family members. I believe my closetedness is the root cause of my social anxiety and severe depression, but at the same time I think coming out would risk damaging my relationship with my family that I do have.

2. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

3. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can talk about all of these feelings here and hopefully find a resolution. Good luck with your journey... we're here for you!