1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question About Adult M-F Transition

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by wowmom, May 10, 2016.

1. wowmom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi All!

I'm the proud mom of a 30 year old transdaughter who has only been living as a woman for a little over a year. I am wondering if any of you have any experience with someone (or yourself) entering a phase that seems juvenile after transitioning. Is this the "pink cloud" that I have read about?

Her transition has been amazing and she has been well received by everyone!!!!

For the past 6 months or so, she seems to be behaving in a somewhat adolescent manner... giving up her professional career to "live in the moment," moving from her own house to a small rented apartment. Other things too, which seem so petty, but are just quick changes to her lifestyle... choosing to buy clothes at Goodwill when she could, and previously did, shop at regular mall stores. Suddenly getting into arts and crafts when she was never interested before.

Like I said, these things sound petty, but when all are put together it makes me wonder. If anyone has experience with a "phase" like this during/after transitioning, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!!

2. Woveomeneon

Out Status:
    Family only
    Theres a book called queer at my library its great and it told me some stuff abot the pink triangle even i was thinking of getting a sex change but idk i dont have the money. I say that you take her out for coffy with some of your frends or mabey invite some of your music loving freands over ir jus give here something like a cool wrist watch to make her feel like she can still do guy stuff and hang around straight pepole idk im not sure if this helps.

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, thank you so much for being there for your daughter! As someone who was rejected by her family, I can tell you that one of the reasons why she is doing so well right now is the support you gave her... So thank you. (*hug*)

It's perfectly normal to go through a period resembling puberty, typically teenagers become emotionally unstable and a tiny bit erratic because of the influx of hormones that they experience at that age. They also develop a social awareness and begin a process of construction of a stable identity that typically lasts until a person is in their late 20s. They also take on stereotypical gender related behavior as part of the stabilization of their gender identity. Your daughter has to go through a similar process and over time she will add layers to her identity until she is at a point when she feels completely comfortable with who she is and you will see her blossom and grow as the months move forward.

Don't worry, it is healthy to go through a process of self discovery sometime during a person's life and it shows that she is becoming a more complete person. She is accepting the past and moving forward in life as most people do at some point in their life. Try to enjoy your time with her and see this as part of a journey that you are taking together as mother and daughter.

Much hugs,

(*hug*)

Eveline

4. AlexTheGrey

Here's my thoughts on it:

If you've been policing yourself for so long based on what you think people expect of you, you may want to experiment and reset. Especially being able to dabble in things you may have thought were verboten before. So I wouldn't be surprised too much with the arts and crafts part. The Goodwill part doesn't surprise me all that much either. It's where I would go if I wasn't sure what was "me", and wanted to experiment without spending a ton of money. (Actually, thanks for the idea)

The house bit and the career bit are a bit more worrisome. But there's too many reasons I can think of why that could happen. I can't really speak to what's actually going on, but considering how expensive this might get if they want surgery, it could be complicated. The only advice I have there is to try to open a dialogue with her about your concerns and hash it out.

But your use of the word "juvenile" is a bit on the nose. Our teenage years are partly for us to figure out who we are as we adapt into adult life. But for someone where those years were about you trying to fit in, rather than discovering and accepting yourself, perhaps you just feel like you need a bit of a do-over?