1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by filmmakingally, Sep 11, 2016.

1. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm a tiny-budget filmmaker. My next feature film is about a young man who struggles with coming out of the closet, and decides to use music as sort-of a form of therapy, and eventually comes out with music.

As a cis-gendered straight-white male, I worry that I might write the role wrong. I've never written a gay character before. And so that is why I'm here -- research! Basically, I just want to do the best I can to learn what it's like to be a closeted homosexual man. I'll definitely ask some questions from time to time, but I'm also probably going to do a lot of lurking.

Cheers!

#1 filmmakingally, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to EC~

Wow! Your movie sounds quite interesting! I hope you'll find all the information you need here! I would love to watch it!

Good luck and I hope it turns out well ^^

3. AliceDot79

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I love the concept of the film and I hope you do well! As a bisexual girl, theres not much I can help you with. Just one thing to mention, while there's nothing wrong with it often the default setting for a lgbt character is a gay man, and the film might stand out more if he was asexual or pan (especially to those who watch a lot of lgbt themed movie)

Good luck and I hope you are able to get some research done from this site :slight_smile:

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, filmmakingally! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

5. killswitch0029

Welcome to EC, good luck with your research :slight_smile:

6. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks, I appreciate that insight. I did toy with the idea of going with a gender and sexuality other than gay male, but I chose that gender because a HUGE part of this movie is that it's semi-autobiographical. In fact, the Coming Out part is pretty much the only thing that's not being directly taken from my life.

It's not that my life is so interesting that I feel the world needs to know about it. It's more that I'm "writing what I know", for the most part. I'm a pretty experienced guerrilla filmmaker, but I'm fairly inexperienced as a screenwriter, and writing what you know is popular advice for newb screenwriters.

Just as an example of what I'm talking about, our main character socializes mostly with the typical homophobic "jocks" who enjoy showing macho bravado and constantly call things they don't like "gay". In my younger twenties, I was one of those people. It's taken me a long time to learn how to be an ally, and I'm still working on it.

7. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. I'm a writer myself, so feel free to talk to me about writing (although I do books not films....I'm sure the plot progress is similar). I enjoy meeting other people who make their own characters.

I'm not a gay man, but I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to different subjects that don't apply to me.

9. ABeautifulMind

Well I am bi, not gay, but just so you know, while only gay men can give you certain details, when it come to coming out, nearly if not all LGBT identities can help feel you in....

I wish you the best of luck and feel free to ask me anything you think I might know..