1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New here.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Red87, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Red87

Hey everyone. Actually found this site through google. :icon_bigg

Seems like a great community to talk.

A bit about myself: I'm a 19 year old male living in Upstate New York. I'm still on the verge of coming out myself. I came out to a few friends of mine, and actually found out a couple of them were the same as me. I was shocked. I guess coming out does have its bonuses :icon_bigg. I've hung out with quite a few other GLBT people and gone to the clubs and several parties, so quite a few in the area know who I am.

Anyway, eventually I plan to come out entirely, even though It will guarantee the loss of my job, but also possibly save my life (Military, soon to be deployed to Iraq). I've done the risk vs reward and personally I feel being able to be who I really am and not having to hide every day at work is well worth it. What do you all think?

Oh well. Glad to be here, and nice to meet yall.

2. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apparently, the military can't throw you out just because of your sexual orientation. As long as you don't openly talk about being gay, no one can do anything. I have a gay military friend, and he has actually maintained his stability in the military after coming out. I don't know much, but I guess it is possible - somehow.

3. 24601

First off, welcome! Nice to see you on EC. It is a cool place to chat.

Wow, military. Way to go! Personally (and I think you'll find most people will agree), I think "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," should probably be, "Don't Ask, Tell If You Want." I think it's a silly thing. If you think being who you are is better than hiding, then by all means come out. In the end it will save you time and trouble. :grin: There are other ways to serve your country!

Anyway, nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy your stay.

4. paul7836

Welcome to EC Red87.

I also feel like being myself is a lot better than having to hide my sexuality (reminds me of a certain song by Audioslave). Coming out is well worth it. Otherwise why would any of us tell other people?

5. xxAngelOnFirexx

Hello! Welcome to EC!

6. Red87

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm not sure, though, being in an all male unit.. and an old fashioned one at that. They definately wouldn't take to kindly to me post-coming out. So I'm not even sure what would happen.

7. Double Dubya

Hi there Red87:smilewave
    Glad that you found EC

I respect anyone who would join the military and lay down their life for their country even if they don't agree with it. I only hope that everything works out for you and that you don't get harassed, bullied, or dishonorably discharged.

Anytime you want to chat I'll be a good friend(*hug*)
    WW

8. blake21

hi and welcome to ec

9. liszak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi and welcome! Echoing what other have already said, many thanks for your service to our country.

10. Kimi

Hi and Big Welocome from me(!)

It's a great thing that you are working for your country but even so I'll probably deny to go to Iraq if I was working in the military................Well, if I have a choice:eusa_doh:
    Anyways, I can't advice you to lose your job but I hate hate hate hate hate this whole war thing(=Iraq) so I'm hoping you won't have to go there ever. Oh, if you have to go then, let us know!!!!!............................I'll be crying and bitching about it:icon_wink :grin:

Anyways, you will make many friends here like you did in your real life:thumbsup: As you might already noticed, people here are just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Of course, that including me:lol:

Hope to see you around:smilewave

11. LorenzG1950

Welcome Red87, nice to have you aboard.

I work for the military in Mannheim, Germany. Take your time on coming out in your unit and don't do anything hasty. You would be surprised how many gay folks are in and around the military :eusa_danc . It won't be long before the rules change on "Don't ask, don't tell".

If I can ever be of any assistance, just PM me. I'm still fairly new at the gay thing but I've worked for the military for over 30 years. Sorry to hear about your deployment. 15 months just sucks. :smilewave

12. TriBi

Hi RM...welcome from me too :smilewave - and yes, we're happy that this has become such a friendly and helpful place (but that is all to do with everyone who comes here :grin:)

13. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

Hello and Welcome To EC... Good luck in what your doing.
    :thumbsup:

14. Jim1454

Welcome to EC!

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hiya - welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi Red87! Welcome! Ahhh..........Don't Ask, Don't Tell. What a croc that is. There is a bill in Congress to try to get that overturned right now. I hope it passes! I hope you don't get sent to Iraq. Not a good place to be. I lost a cousin there last summer.

17. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC:thumbsup:

I also want to thank you for going to a foreign country and defending our rights and freedoms. Ironic isn't it, that you are defending our rights, but unable to be yourself while doing it. It must have sucked. I am so glad that you have accepted who you are and have started to come out as well. I am also glad that you have support in the form of friends who are also gay/bi, etc.

I hope you like your stay...we are very friendly and will help with any questions/concerns you may have. Take Care.
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :newcolor: :laugh: :love:

18. SadConfusedBandGeek

19. Zec24

Hi Red87,
    Welcome to EC. I know I'm late in saying that, but I'm not always on EC a lot. I'm also in the military so I know how it is. Although I'm in no position to come out right now to the people around me as it would jeopardize my job and I'd be in tons of debt. I'm in college and the military is paying for my education so in my case I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me.

Be careful coming out in your unit, especially since it is all male. I know a girl at my school got kicked out for being gay under the military's don't ask don't tell policy. She was on the rugby team with me, so I heard all the rumors about what happened, but I'm not quite sure how much of its true.
    Anyways good luck, and good luck with your deployment.

20. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello - sorry for the delay, but welcome! lol