1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi there! New guy here and my story :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Ryler, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Ryler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everybody! It's so nice to see a very strong forum community here on EC. I love how everybody is so supportive and it's nice to be a part of this. :slight_smile: My first post ever!

I recently fully came out to my immediate family and close friends as gay on August 21, 2016. Everybody was very supportive of me when I came out even though they were surprised. Every now and then, my friends would forget that I'm gay but they correct themselves lol. As for acquaintances and people I don't know so well, I haven't actively sought them out to tell them, but I will tell them proudly that I'm gay if they ask.

I started questioning myself in 7th grade when I felt this strong attraction towards a guy in one of my class, but always repressed those feelings because I didn't want to be gay. Throughout high school, I would pray almost every night for my feelings towards guys to go away but as you can see, it didn't work. I was still strongly attracted to them. At first, I came out to my family as bi, but never really mentioned it any further since I was still questioning myself. I told my mom that I was bi, but she still considered me straight back then. I feel like coming out as bi was a stepping stone for me personally to ease my way towards accepting myself as gay. As time went on, I realized that I was more attracted to guys than girls, and can only see myself being emotionally invested in a relationship with a guy. It was very difficult for me to come out fully, especially in an Asian family, but I mustered up the courage to just one day tell my friends and immediate family the actual truth. It felt like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders and I can be who I truly am. :slight_smile: And a big plus that all the people I cared about were supportive and my mom fully understands and accepts that I am gay.

Now a few months after coming out, I feel so love sick. I like my own company and don't mind being single, but after a while, the reality strikes you that you've never had a relationship, since I always used the excuse of school when I was in the closet. Some days I wished that I came out at an earlier age and dated so that I have some experience in the relationship realm, but I know everyone has their own journey of when they feel it is their right time to come out, and mine just so happened to be at 24 years old. But now, I am a freshly out of the closet gay inexperienced 24 year old that's never had a boyfriend and wants a relationship before I get even older, soon to be 25. I feel like life is just zooming on by and I feel lonely at times.:icon_sad: I've tried some dating sites, but I feel like my inexperience drives people away and the fact that I'm Asian, too. Oh well, I guess one day I'll eventually meet that special someone. *crosses fingers*

Sorry for the long essay guys lol! But thanks for reading if you made it through my introduction and some complaining! I can't wait to meet all the wonderful people on here.(&&&)

Kind regards

#1 Ryler, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Ryler! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile: That was very courageous and big step to Come Out to your family and close friends. I’m very happy that it went so well and everyone is so supportive of you!:thumbsup:

Don't worry, you'll find someone. Just keep your eyes and heart open!:slight_smile:

Enjoy your time on this site.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to EC! :icon_bigg

I agree with Quantumreality, you'll very likely meet someone, just keep your eyes open. (*hug*)

4. Ryler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you Quantum and Quem for the warm welcomes! ^^

5. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi welcome to EC. It's good that you're finding the support you need and that you've found happiness in your self acceptance but please don't think you've somehow got things wrong because you're feeling lonely. It's completely normal to feel the need for an intimate connection at this point in your journey. It doesn't matter what age you are, we nearly all have experienced this.
    Like the other guys have said, you will meet someone eventually and it will definitely be worth the wait.
    Dating sites are not the best choice in my opinion because they can result in a lot of unnecessary negativity but go for it if you can prepare yourself it. It's a real numbers game and not many people are who they really claim to be so be careful and don't expect too much too soon.
    You also mentioned being Asian causing a barrier and I understand that there is an ugly (racist) side to some gay cultures but please don't let it be a barrier for you. If other people don't want to date you because of their closed mind then so be it. They are just doing the "weeding" for you because honestly you probably wouldn't want to waste time on that sort of guy anyway. I won't pretend you can just ignore it but at least just try not to let it become your focus.

My best tip to offer for raising your chances of meeting someone is to focus on yourself. Keep yourself healthy, eat well, exercise, look after your mental health. Always be yourself, don't be embarrassed about the things that you like but others think are "uncool" etc. Let your individuality and your passion shine out because that is what a guy is going to fall in love with about you.

Anyway good luck on your journey :icon_bigg

6. SHIELDAgentAlex

Hey hey hey. Wassup? Welcome to EC, the…the…goddamnit why are puns hard…the…WE'RE GAY!

That was awkward.

Anyway, hi. I'm Alex; I also respond to Batman, Hey You, and Emo Shit. Hope you have fun here! :slight_smile:

Oh, and another thing. If your avatar is a picture of you, then I can't see why you'd have trouble with guys.

7. killswitch0029

Welcome to EC :slight_smile:

8. Ryler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @Calf: Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement and advice. I definitely try to always take it to heart that I am a great person and try not to let the words or actions of others affect me. I will continue to work on myself and do what I'm passionate about. :slight_smile:

@SHIELDAgentAlex: Hey Alex, the Batman! Thank you for your funny welcome lol! :grin: I do hope to have some fun around EC and meet other like minded people.

@killswitch0029: Thank you for your welcome! :slight_smile: