1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Sky Robins, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Sky Robins

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I am new and I have joined Empty Closets because I have recently come to terms that I am a lesbian. It has been a bitter-sweet journey to accepting my sexual identity because I have been force fed heterosexual preferences my whole life, so much so that I identified as asexual for some time in order to explain to family members why I was not attracted to men. For this reason, I am a fairly late bloomer as I am just reaching my mid-twenties.
    I am very lucky to have two close friends who love and accept me as I am. One of my friends is even considering a relationship with me as she is exploring her bi-sexual identity. I am so happy because of this. For the first time in my life, romance and dating feels right.
    Unfortunately, my home life is very different. My parents hold to a traditional religious belief that homosexuals and trans-gender individuals are choosing to sin and are separated from God. I can never see myself coming out to them and it is tearing me up emotionally and mentally that they do not really know who I am and if they did, I would be disowned or harmed.
    I am trying to decide how to come out to my siblings. My brother will be accepting, I just don’t know how to approach him. I don’t think I trust my sister yet.
    I am also unsure how I should approach larger peer groups (ex. college). I cannot come out on social media as my parents will learn about me. It hurts to keep it locked up when I finally feel free and accepting of myself, but I do not think I have much choice.
    All in all, I am glad I am finally brave enough to say “I am a lesbian” to myself in the mirror.

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

Welcome to EC!

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Sky Robins! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile: Read through the Coming Out Advice threads and post a new thread if you like. There are also examples of Coming Out letters in the Resources tab, if that is something you might be interested in checking out.

As far as the religious issues go, perhaps you might want to check out the following threads on EC:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/49316-my-advice-about-being-lgbt-christian-very-long.html

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/65350-bible-tells-me-being-gay-wrong-now-i-just-dont-know-what-do.html#post1101418

#3 Quantumreality, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. Sky Robins

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. These look really helpful

5. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation: