1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey people!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by IsItElise, Nov 25, 2016.

1. IsItElise

Hi everyone! My name is Elise. I'm 24 years old, live in Minnesota, and I happen to be a transgender woman. I totally realize the irony of using this site right now, since I'm basically in the closet to everyone except one friend and and a support group that I go to weekly. But I'm working on my coming out/transition process and hope to get there soon!

I'm not sure of what else to say, but let me try this...

What I hope to get out of EC: some knowledge and "expertise" about the nuts and bolts of being a trans woman, or just being a woman in general, or being trans in general.

What what I hope to contribute to EC: I'm not very experienced yet, but I hope that I can be a positive voice for support for anyone dealing with the joys and challenges of being LGBT, especially those, like me, who are earlier in the process of exploring/realizing their true gender.

Why I'm excited about being a trans woman:
    1) being able to actually act like myself in my relations with others
    2) a chance to reinvent myself!
    3) and let's be honest, having a woman's body will be pretty awesome :slight_smile:

What will challenge me about being being a trans woman:
    1) Style: as much as I've always envied women for their appearance, I know NOTHING (Jon Snow) about how to dress femininely or do makeup. Twenty years in denial will do that to ya.
    2) Professional: between discrimination and my own insecurity, I hope that coming out will not keep me from finding a job that I love.
    3) Voice: I mean, I'm a baritone, and I'm not sure yet which route I want to take to present as female vocally.

But I'm more than just "Elise the Trans Girl" obviously. I love singing, reading and writing, music, theatre, hiking and the great outdoors, and I just took up knitting in time for the Minnesota winter. And I love all things French and I'm always trying to work on my language skills! So, it's nice to meet everybody!

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, and welcome to EC. :slight_smile: No irony here; a lot of people on here aren't out to anyone. That's kind of why this site exists. I ended up on here because I wasn't out to anybody at first, either, and needed somewhere to talk to other people like me and figure my way around being trans, so it's not strange at all.

You write, too? That's what I've spent the whole night doing, myself. Literally the whole night; I've been up since yesterday morning. What kind of writing do you do, if you don't mind me asking? :astonished:

Anyways, just thought I'd drop in and say hi. :thumbsup:

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to EC, Elise! :slight_smile:

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Elise! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

5. IsItElise

Hi! It's good to be here, it seems like a really great place. I haven't been writing much lately, because this whole thing about my gender had kinda been a distraction, but I am working on a play or two. I'm really bad, since I'm always jumping between projects. But this one is kinda a melodramatic piece about America and all that. Really hokey but I like it so far. I'm kinda more into writing for the stage right now, but I used to do short stories. I was never particularly good but it made me feel good to be producing something of my own. That's incredible that you can stay up all night working like that though! What are you working on?

Also, good call on Borussia. I don't follow Bundesliga but I always said that if I did I would definitely support them, mostly cause cause I like their colors :slight_smile: which is how how I determine a lot of my sports fandom when I'm choosing a new league to follow.

6. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I wasn't doing a whole lot of writing lately either, until last night. I had writer's block for months and then BAM, I got an idea for a short story that I just couldn't ignore. Pounded the whole thing out in one night. That's mostly what I write is short stories, but I have a feeling this one's going to turn into a much bigger project.

Oh, I like you already. :grin: Bayern might be the big, rich team of the league, but really, everyone knows Borussia's where it's at. :wink: Which leagues or teams do you follow?

7. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and welcome :slight_smile:

8. IsItElise

Well I've always been into more traditional sports like football and baseball, but recently I've fallen in with a couple of soccer teams and I'm really enjoying it, though it's hard to get a chance to watch who I want. I used to live in Portland so I became a Timbers fan just in time for them to win MLS Cup (yay bandwagoning!). But recently, for very complicated reasons related to my decision to hate Arsenal, I've started supporting Tottenham. It's been hard to get the chance to watch games live but I do what I can. I watched a couple of matches with friends who are also Spurs fans, so I'm stastaying r ting to get into it.

9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Might I ask why you hate Arsenal? :grin: Personally, I don't have one particular team I follow devoutly when I watch the Premier League, but I find myself leaning towards Liverpool whenever they play.

I would definitely recommend following the Bundesliga if you get the chance. It's a bit harder to watch than the Premier League but the quality of football is pretty good (even if the title race tends to be a one-horse race in the last five years). My advice? Bayern is terrible but I'd also recommend staying away from RB Leipzig, because they're terrible, too, but for entirely different reasons.

#9 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  10. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    welcome fellow Minnesotian

11. IsItElise

I hate Arsenal not for any reason related to the club itself, but for the way their owner recently treated the town I grew up in... he owns the former St. Louis Rams, and let's just say things didn't end well there. So this is my own way of getting back at him while simultaneously finding a new term to support. Seems like a win-win! I'd be very open to following Bundesliga. I don't know enough about soccer yet to be super picky about which league is better so it all seems pretty exciting to me xD

12. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oooooh, he pulled them out and sent them to LA, right? :dry: Fuuuuun. Yeah, that is crap, I can see why you'd be pissed at the guy for it.

I'm not necessarily saying which league is better; some leagues are more exciting than the BL just because they're more competitive (Bayern has taken the title for the last four years, which is boring), but the quality of football here is damn good, regardless of who takes the title every year.

Hoping we can make a push for the title this year, but there's Bayern and Rasenbullshit ballsport Leipzig in the way first. Bayern is rough this year and it's only a matter of time before Leipzig starts dropping points, so here's hoping! [​IMG]

13. IsItElise

Yeah screw Leipzig! I can get behind that. I remember how good Bayern is, so it's no fun . Plus Dortmund have Pulisic, and as a mediocre USMNT fan I'm supposed to worship him I think, so Dortmund makes as much sense as anyone else. Unfortunately I don't get any of the obscure channels that play Uefa matches, but once I finally get WiFi installed at my house in a couple of weeks I'm definitely gonna stream my heart out.

14. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, the Bundesliga is usually shown on Fox Sports 1 and 2, but if you don't those channels, yeah. :dry:

Well, Pulisic is an absolute beast and all the hype is justified, but even as a BVB fan I am getting sick of the hype. That kid's got a ton of potential, and he seems pretty level-headed, but I don't want to see the hype get to his head. The media needs to leave him alone and just let him develop in peace. He's still only 18.

#14 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  15. IsItElise

Absolutely! He might be an amazing freak of football, and he might be the American savior, but it doesn't do anything helpful to crown him that so early. All that can do is put pressure on him that he doesn't need. I'm more concerned about The direction that the US will take now, that's what I want to pay attention to.

16. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's why I think it's fortunate that he's playing all the way in Germany; he's more insulated from the American hype machine that has made him out to be their savior. You read German media, he's not nearly as talked about. It's because there, young talent is much more prolific, but the USA is so desperate for the next Landon Donovan that they just can't leave the poor kid be.

#16 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  17. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ˙uʍop-ǝpᴉsdn sɐʍ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɯ 'ʎɹɹoS

˙uoᴉʇᴉsuɐɹʇ ɹnoʎ uo ʇno noʎ dlǝɥ oʇ ǝʌol p,I ʇnq 'ʎuɐɯ oʇ ʇǝʎ ʇno ʇou ɯ,I puɐ 'ǝlɐɯǝɟ ɹǝpuǝƃsuɐɹʇ ɐ ƃuᴉǝq ʇnoqɐ sʇsod ʎuɐɯ ʇ,uǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥ┴ ¡ǝsᴉlƎ 'ollǝH

18. IsItElise

Hi Dingdang! I gotta say, your post was pretty, ah, fun to figure out. Thanks for the welcome! Always good to meet someone on the same journey. I just kinda came out to myself not long ago so I'm always on the lookout for new friends to support and for support.

It's nice to meet you! I saw that you do a lot of music. What's your thing? I've only ever sung, theatre and choirs and that sort of thing, but I have been hoping to pick up the guitar that's been sitting in the corner since forever lol