1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning after a big breakup

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by UrsulaJay, Mar 12, 2017.

1. UrsulaJay

Yesterday was my birthday. I am in a space where I am questioning my sexuality. I didn't feel attracted to men most of high school and college. I had a few crushes to both men and women once I left school, but they weren't strong enough to act on. I had my first relationship (with a man) that lasted almost 2 years and it ended January this year.

Now that I am single, my attraction to women has been stronger than ever. I always felt more comfortable around women in general. Part of me questions is it okay to feel like I do so soon after my breakup? I even wonder am I too old to figure it out (29 is not so old but still). I worry should I have known already I might be a lesbian? I am struggling with a little guilt too.

I currently live with my mom after being sick for a long time. Her and I are close but, she is not opened minded about the LGBT community. I currently identify as ace because my general sexual attraction no matter the gender is low. I brought that up she didn't handle it well. Because of my mother's reaction to being ace it made me feel afraid to admit my attraction to women even to myself. I hope here I can just learn how to be more comfortable with myself. I hope I can come to terms with my feelings. I really need a place to even acknowledge feeling sapphic. Glad to have found this forum.

#1 UrsulaJay, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there. Welcome to EC! You are never too old for self discovery. I'm in my 40s and only realised my true gender and sexuality identity about 2 weeks ago.

There is no wrong or right time to discover feelings so please don't fret that it's too soon. I am sure you will come to terms with how you feel and that you will find comfort and support here.

I'm sorry your mom's reaction hasn't helped.

Ps happy belated birthday!

3. UrsulaJay

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Thank you! Just reading some of the posts like this certainly helps.:tears:

4. Fulldarknostars

I don't really have any advice or anything but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I'm 26 and I'm still questioning both my gender identity and sexuality and, just like you, I worry about being "too old to figure it out" (people tell me there's no such thing as being too old to figure it out though).

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I'm new here too but welcome to EC! I hope you'll find the answers you're looking for.

5. UrsulaJay

Thank you I finding being around the forum, I am not so old after all. It might not be a such thing as being too old. (!) I am glad to know that I am not alone. (&&&)