1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by AntsInMyEyes, Mar 25, 2017.

1. AntsInMyEyes

Hi,

My name is Dave and I'm a programmer. I have always been a computer nerd and I have always been the person to fix things (or break them). I have been building computers since I was 11 and I just finished my Computer Science degree in December. I also just landed the career of my dreams as a software developer and I could not be happier. I like a lot of music. I listen to various forms of dank electronic music, hip-hop, soul, reggae, etc.etc, and I like live music and festivals. Now that I'm out of college, I have found that I have more time to explore hobbies such as rock climbing and hiking.

I'm also gay. It took me a good minute to figure this out about myself and it took me even longer to admit it to myself. I kind of ignored my sexuality while I was in college and working and put questioning off. I also have a very religious family that has made this whole situation a bit more difficult. My dad is a preacher and communicating with him can be very frustrating. I have come out to him as an atheist/agnostic a year or so ago and we don't see eye to eye on most topics. I have not told either of my parents that I'm gay. I grew up and currently live in Arkansas, in the thick of the bible belt, where many people are intolerant. Coming to terms with my reality has been a challenge.

I have been "testing the waters" with coming out. I have told a handful of trustworthy people, but I'm not really that anxious about other people finding out. My older brother was one of the first people that I came out to and he is very supportive. It'll probably be a while before I tell my parents. There's no rush.

I'm staying positive and any helpful feedback is appreciated. It's nice to meet you all and I'm excited to join this amazing community.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC Dave and thanks for posting this intro. It's good to have you on board and I hope you will stick around and participate as much as you can. I really believe the whole coming out journey is easier when we share it with like minded people.

You can use this forum for chat and support and you are very welcome to offer support, as and when you feel able to.

We know it can be difficult for people who grew up in a religious home, even when they themselves have left religion behind. The whole subject of religion is a regular theme on this forum and we have members with different ideas about it, and that's fine as long as we respect each others differing opinions and try to learn.

Hope to see you around the boards in the weeks and months ahead. If you need any help, just ask!

3. AntsInMyEyes

Hi, Patrick, nice to meet you. It's good to be here and thanks for your support.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Dave! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

5. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome Dave,
    First of all-- congratulations on your new job--awesome to have landed the career of your dreams at age 23 :slight_smile:!

As Patrick said, it does help to share and get support from like-minded people. No matter where each of us are in our journey-- all of us here are facing (or have faced) some of the same issues and struggles. I think you will find this site helpful, I know I have!