1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better late than never?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by taical, May 8, 2017.

1. taical

taical Guest

I can't believe I just noticed there was a welcome lounge. :eek:

In all reality, I probably noticed it, but was much too timid back in January when I joined. Anyways, I'm pretty much completely gay, but as one of my closest gay friends describes his sexuality that just so happens to perfectly align with mine: not closing the door on girls just yet.

I started out posting here in January when I was a mess and finally coming to accept that I was not straight. I had a very "3 steps forward, 5 steps back" coming out process where I came out to someone the very first time as bi on New Years 2017. I didn't even believe it yet, and I had instant regrets when I told them. A few weeks later, I had become more confident, and I told two other friends. That time it felt great. Towards the end of January, I felt a flood of insecure questions enter my brain and I searched up "lgbt forums" in search of anyone who could give me answers and I am so not disappointed that EC is the only one I clicked.

Since then I've kind of been lurking as I explore my sexuality. I came out to all my closest friends as gay in late February, and I felt great. A week later, I came out to most of my family as gay which was satisfying at first until my brother outed me to my dad the next day (a story for another time) and the whole situation left me feeling like I rushed things way too much and I fell back into insecurity and self-guilt (even though my dad was totally cool with it). So for the last two or three months, I've just been lurking on these forums and keeping to myself as I try to explore my sexuality but recently I've decided I want to be active on here. I want to try to help other people and help myself at the same time, because I'm tired of keeping all my thoughts in my head and I feel safe here sharing with other people. :slight_smile:

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for posting and a belated welcome.

Coming out is a journey and it's not always perfect. Along the way we may encounter bumps and scrapes and that's totally normal. Some people will surprise us and accept us without question, while others may be wary or intolerant at first. Fortunately, that kind of reaction is not as prevalent as it once was and it's a sign of how far we have come in the last few years. If you stay true to yourself and people see that you are still a good and decent guy (who just happens to like other guys) you should be fine.

Do join in more, because you get out of EC what you put into it and we all need help and support along the way. It's not always about giving great advice. Just being there and offering a few kind words can make a big difference to another member who is having a hard time - and that applies to you too.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello taical! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

As PatrickUK said, definitely join in more. If you've read through the threads here on EC, I'm sure that you found that what you are going through is not at all unusual, but often just talking about it with others who can truly understand (other LGBTQ people) can really help.

4. Brigianna

Hi,

welcome! :smilewave Great forum, great people :icon_wink

5. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya welcome to EC! Yea I can understand what you mean. It took me a while to figure out I wasn't straight and I just so happen to find that out when I was in middle school. I had a crush on one of my female friends and I was like wait a second what am I feeling? I just couldn't stop thinking about hugging her and kissing her on the cheek. Of course that feeling went away but when I used to go church was just a bad time for me. I went to a church that didn't accept gays at all (but most churches are like that nowadays so shrugs) and whenever girls would ask me out, I'd try to avoid them and say oh sorry no thank you. It was awful I couldn't be able to be with whoever I want without the worry of God judging me and punishing me for having romantic feelings for girls and of course other gender identities. I had to stop going to church because I didn't want to being stopped to not date whoever I want. I still believe in God but I don't go to any churches as I prefer to just stay at home and follow my faith. Anyways I get what you mean about having guilt and insecure. It took me years to figure out I wasn't straight and that I was pan. After that time, I decided to identify as pan as whoever I end up dating is that I'll love them no matter what their gender identity is, sexuality, etc etc. I hope you have a great time here! ^^