1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i come out????

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by gaynathan, Jul 19, 2007.

1. gaynathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hey guys, im new, and recently i have been flirting with the idea of coming out. I have a group of friends but i know one of them is a homophob (but i dont even like him) one is totally against gay marriage, but there was 2 that i thought would be fine with it. This one guy has a gay friend who i dont know, and he has been cracking on to him and hes fine with it but doesnt want to do anything, and my other friend - while we were talking about gay people said, "why do u wanna be his friend hes gay". so what do i do. shud i tell thid gay friendly guy and not tell other people just yet?

2. Steam Giant

Hey Nathan! Welcome to EC!

You know, with people like this, sometimes it just takes someone close to them being gay for them to become tolerant. Not everyone is like this, but if they're your friends, they'll like you for who you are, and they'll realize that you're still you. Would I tell the gay friendly guy first, if I were in your shoes? Absolutely! Mostly, you should make your first coming out the easiest, because it'll still be difficult, but it'll almost certainly turn out well, and it'll give you the confidence you need to push forward ^^

I'm sure you'll find any support you need here at EC as far as this goes, but for now, I wish you only the best of luck!

3. davo-man

Welcome to forum...I reckon you should tell the guy who has a gay friends first, if you are comfortable with that...and then after a while, if you are comfortable, tell the others...but only when you are comfortable with all of it cos you wouldnt wanna rush it.

And as Steam Giant said, coming out to one person who is quite tolerant gives you the confidence to come out to others

4. careandrespect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello Nathan,

I would first like to welcome you to the forum. I am sort of in the same situation as you are however, I have been struggling with the issue for twenty-three years now (not that I don't know its true - it is that I have a difficult time accepting it). The biggest challenge I face right now is being able to "come out" to myself first. It has been a rocky road. Keeping it inside is something which has been most painful. I guess what the most helpful thing is being able to discuss this with someone you can trust and feel most comfortable talking to. For myself that person is my psychotherapist who has been most helpful in helping me sort out these feelings.

As I have found out, this site has many people that are at various stages of this process and they all have very good ideas as I have found myself. I wish you the very best and know that you have support here.

Respectfully,
    careandrespect.

5. Kimi

Hey and Welcome to empty closets(!)

Like others already said, if you are trulu ready to come out, then I think it's good to start with easy one first as an excise!! And if you can be or you are practical about friendship then it is ok to come out to others too but it might ended up bitter experience. So take your time to choose who to come out and when you are ready go for it!!!! I think it's great that you are wanting to come out:thumbsup:

Hope to see you around:smilewave

6. CrimsonThunder

Welcome Nath.

7. SadConfusedBandGeek

Hmm I basically agree with all the advice above:slight_smile:
    And welcome to EC

8. blake21

hi and welcome to ec

9. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Nathan, welcome to EC!

I don't have much more advice to give, since all the good stuff has already been said.

On thing though... you and your group of friends sounds eerily similar to a Nathan I know (whom I've always kind of wondered about). I don't know his exact birth day, but I'm pretty sure it's in November, and he is 16.

>_>

Just a coincidence I'm sure. :lol:

10. gaynathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hey guys thanks for all the advice - its so good talking to ppl.
    boarder25 - im from Australia so i dont think that im that guy, but we may be twins, who knows!

11. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another australian. is it the gay capital of the world?

good luck nathan. being a part of a minority and then announcing it as so, can be daunting, i know. i hope your friends handle it just fine. perhaps you will find out which of your friends are shallow and which ones are truly your friends.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi Nathan! I agree with the posts above. Come out to the friendly people first. It will make things easier and it will feel good to be out to somebody.

13. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi There and Welcome to EC!