1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Years

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Nodnarb, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Nodnarb

October 10, 2007. It seems like a lifetime ago, but that was the day I first signed up for EC. I was so terrified. It was really the first step I took to admitting to myself the feelings I had known I had for years. I didn't post at first, and I only stayed for a couple of days. It was too scary, too overwhelming.

A month or two later I came back and started posting every so often, and always reading the new coming out stories to help me gain confidence. At some point in mid-December, I updated my orientation from 'not sure' to 'bi'. It was a big step, but I knew deep down it wasn't true. A couple weeks later, on January 4th, I finally accepted that I was gay and couldn't change it. It was such a relief to finally feel like I was being truthful to myself. But at the same time, I started putting pressure on myself to come out.

Reading the stories and talking with people here on EC helped me, but I was terrified of the idea. If it weren't for my mom getting upset and telling me that she felt I was hiding something from her, who knows how long it would have taken for me to say anything. But I told my parents on January 13th, barely a week after coming out to myself, and they were amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better response or better parents.

Since then, I've come out on Facebook, and haven't had a single bad reaction. I feel very lucky to be where I am, and everybody here at EC deserves part of the credit for that(*hug*). I feel like a totally different person than the scared, nervous, closeted 16 year-old that first signed up here.

And tonight, I am going to be taking another big step for myself. The University and the LGBTAA are holding a dance tonight at the Memorial Union to celebrate National Coming Out Week, and I am planning on going. It should be a lot of fun, and it'll be nice to be somewhere that two guys dancing (or *gasp* kissing) doesn't cause any uproar. And hey, maybe I'll meet someone:slight_smile:

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love reading stories like this! I can't wait for the day when I feel the same way! Congratulations on your two year EC-versary, you've definitely come a long way from where you started. Here's to many more years for you. Have fun at the dance!