1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, It Looks Like EC Has One Less Lurker To Worry About

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by MonsieurGodiva, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Let me first establish that I’m a complete disaster when it comes to introducing myself, mostly due to the fact that I can blather on and on about nothing longer than anybody else that I know. :rolleyes:

Last week I was doing a Google search for “Coming Out Resources”, one link lead to another, and I found myself here. Not but a few minutes ago, I found the wherewithal to join. Y’all seem like good people and I’ve learned so much from your posts in such a short time; I hope that other people here can learn as much from me. After all, knowledge is shiny and therefore meant to be shared.

So where does one begin when describing me?

Well, for starters, I’m 16, 100 % gay, completely closeted, and I live in the rural suburbs of Midwestern America. It’s also probably important to know that I’m a libertarian, a borderline atheist / agnostic, and a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

In my spare time, I enjoy reading, writing, other cultures, current events, volunteering, and taking part in shenanigans with friends. (While we’re on the subject of them, you can thank them for coming up with my username, which is probably the only nickname they gave me that’s actually appropriate for EC. “Monsieur” comes from my aptitude with all things French, while “Godiva” stems from my very long hair.)

Honestly, I have no idea how so many of you have managed to come out to all of your closest friends and family. It seems so difficult to open up and tell people such a personal thing, not knowing what they’ll say or do. But nevertheless, I’ve actually been contemplating coming out to a friend or two. Despite the fact that our little clique is so close that it’s suffocating at times, I suppose I’m worried that this whole thing will be met with hostility or even worse, abandonment. People in our dinky, provincial town never really discuss the issue of homosexuality often. It’s almost like it’s just swept under the rug or, at most, used to fodder gossiping that takes place behind people’s backs. I can already formulate my parents’ reaction already, assuming that I stop procrastinating and summon enough courage to tell them. I’ve never had a good relationship with either of them and they’re definitely not going to take it well, especially in the case of my mother. She’s one of those psychotic religious zealots that most people think only exist in fairy tales and on television. I don’t think I can confide in my older sister, either. She’s generally a liberal person, but useless when it comes to keeping something a secret. Every time I tell her something important that was just suppose to be between us, she brings it up in an argument in hope that it’ll save her own hide. Our latest example goes something like this:

Mother: “Your student loans are out of control. We need to talk.”
    Sister (Pointing At Me): “It was him! He dented the back of your car! It’s because he can’t parallel park to save his life!”

…See what I mean? :bang:

Well, I’ve talked far too much for anybody’s liking and no matter what happens, whether I come out to everybody tomorrow, wait until college, or put it off for the rest of my life, I intend for my stay to be lengthy on Empty Closets, so introducing yourself and telling me a couple things about you might be for both of our benefit. I look forward to getting better acquainted with everyone here.

2. Choucho

Hello! ^_^
    My name's Jacob, I'm from Canada, have a wife who's a lesbian, and I'm obsessed with a Korean celebrity, who unfortunately, is heterosexual. u.u But he's fun to look at. I also like Asian women, they're very pretty. But I'd still never touch one. >.>
    Your introduction thread stimulated my amusement censors. I laughed. >.<
    I'm sorry to hear about your vaginal biological makeup contributor, and your vaginal partner-in-offspring.
    I hope your friends take it well though. ^_^
    So yes, welcome to EC! Post lots and have fun! ^_^

3. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :welcome: Dude welcome to EC. I hope you like it here. The thing about coming out is that if you keep waiting for "the perfect molment", then you will never come out. Telling people something personal is very hard but the support you could get from them if they accept you is fantastic. In your case if your mother is truly as you describe her you might want to wait until you can support yourself before coming out. It sounds like telling your sister would be a bad idea. Coming out in an argument is a very bad thing and being outed in an argument is even worse. I know you will do what is best. Welcome to EC!

4. You seem like you need to vent, so I guess the length of your post is justified.

Anyway, welcome to EmptyClosets!

Hm...After reading your thought/things/[words], I would suggest that you come out to a friend or two before telling your family. Unless you have an unusual living arrangement, friends don't hover around your house, exuding onto you a strange onus of guilt or shame if they don't react "well" to your coming out. If the friend you tell "stops being your friend," you're probably better off without him/her. In my experience, girls are easier to talk to about this subject because guys'll probably assume you're hitting on them...or something. And that's not good around straight men. Yeah.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian? I've never met anyone like that! I've met (vicariously...through the wondrous music of Bright Eyes) a pescetarian, but...hm.
    But at least you're getting your calcium and vitamin D...and...um...protein? Mmhmm.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hiya! Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

6. Well, I was not expecting such a fast and warm reception while I was trying to cure my icon indecisiveness issues. How kind of you all to be so prompt.

Pleasure to meet you. :smilewave

I feel inclined to ask how your relationship with your wife works out if you both have an attraction to the same gender, but then again, it's none of my business. Is it safe to assume that it's an inside joke?

On a different note, I hope you realize how much the phrases "vaginal biological makeup contributor" and " vaginal partner-in-offspring" made me laugh. :lol: If you have not copyrighted them, I shall be sure to use them in the future.

I see your point when you discuss the issue of "waiting for the perfect moment" -- clearly, I'm not doing myself or the LGBT community any good by just sitting here.

But thank you very much for your advice; it was very helpful. (*hug*)

Yet another person with good advice. :eusa_clap

I don't think that coming out to my friends will be such a big deal, mostly because the majority of them are women and, like you said, girls tend to take this kind of thing better. And I guess that you're right when you talk about being better off without people who don't accept you.

You've never met a lacto-ovo veg before? If it's any consolation, I don't know anybody else who chooses not to eat meat, either. Perhaps I just need to broaden my social circle a little or something. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much. It's quite a nice little place that you're running here. :slight_smile:

7. 24601

Hey there, welcome to EC. I'm 16, too, but could never stand to live in the Midwest. I'm sorry for you, :lol:. Hope you enjoy your stay.

8. Choucho

Not really as much as an inside joke as we just call each other that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If I ever had even the little tiniest itty bittiest inkling to ever marry a female, it would be her. But I have none whatsoever, so I'll stick to drooling over the Korean in my display picture. ^_^

And no, I have not claimed copywrites upon them, so feel free to use them. ^_^ I'm glad you like them.

On another side note, my wife is also a vegetarian. If her parents ever let her on the internet again, I'm sure you'll love to meet her. ^_^

9. JSG

JSG Guest

Hi there MonsieurGodiva !!
    Welcome to EC !!!
    I guess being a young gay in Midwest America isn't the easiest of things...

And you say you have an aptitude with all things French? :icon_wink

10. Don't be sorry. It's not your fault that my parents have absolutely no knowledge of where is an interesting place to live. :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you mean when you say your orientation is "5"?

Okay, now I understand what you're saying. My friends and I use terms of endearment quite often. It's great for confusing people or just generally creating unnecessary awkwardness amongst our peers.

Your wife certainly sounds like an interesting person. :slight_smile:

Normally I would say yes to your second question, but sadly, the recent summer break from school has turned my brain into mush. I think my knowledge of the French language has been reduced to just the basics. :dry: Perhaps once school begins in a week or two, everything'll come back to me.

11. Double Dubya

Actually I think you did a pretty good job. I feel like I know you already lol.:thumbsup:

I know that it is hard to come out to your friends. As I have always heard, “you can pick your friends, not your family” and it is true. No matter what you can’t change your family, but you can pick great friends. But there is a lot of things that a friendship relies on like trustworthiness. Remember that “those that matter don’t mind, and those that mind don’t matter."(*hug*)

Hi, I'm WW. I come from the Far East, as east as it gets... Maine lol. I wish that I was as savvy in French as you because all the time I get French Canadian people at my Hotel and I never know what to do. I took one year of French and just skimped by the skin of my teeth. So now I really wish that I knew more.

Soo glad you found EC and I hope you enjoy your stay. If you want to look me up my AIM sn is in my profile and my myspace is http://www.myspace.com/wadethelimoguy

12. CrimsonThunder

Wow great intro! Welcome to EC. :grin:

13. Kimi

Hi and Welcome to empty closets(!) (!)

My name is Kimi(obviously) and I'm from Japan. I also have no idea how so many people here have managed to come out to closest friends and family neither. And I still don't get why it's so big deal to tell my sexuality to others. Well anyways, as you already know this place has lots thing to offer so I think it will be so much fun to stay here!! And also people here are very friendly and extremely nice so I think you gonna make tons of friend while you stay here!

BTW, you did MUCH better than me introducing yourself:icon_wink
    Hope to see you around:smilewave :smilewave

14. LorenzG1950

Very nice intro and welcome to EC :welcome: from Mannheim, Germany. You write very well and have a sense of humor (as many of the other folks here). Hope you enjoy your stay. :smilewave

15. Thank you very much for your advice. (*hug*)

I was actually born and raised out East. It's extremely pretty out there in autumn, but so cold in winter. You're quite fortunate to be living in such a beautiful area of our country.

Great Myspace, by the way.

Thanks. Nice to meet you. :smilewave

I understand exactly what you're talking about. Telling somebody about your sexuality shouldn't be a huge deal. I mean, it's not like it's something life-threatening or anything. :rolleyes: But at the same time, while we've come to accept that about ourselves, others might not be as comfortable with it.

On a completely unrelated note, I have an aunt on my mom's side who lives in Japan. She sends me fans and bento boxes (is that what they're called?) every 4 months or so because she can never remember when my birthday is. Japanese culture is so fascinating.

Aw, thanks. You're making me blush. :icon_redf

On another weird note about my family, my entire dad's side scattered around Germany. I don't speak German and I've never been there, although it seems like an interesting country.

Once again, thanks to everybody who has been so kind in my short time here. Y'all are great people. (*hug*)

16. Torture

Torture Guest

Welcome to EC!