1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Becky1234, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Becky1234

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. I just found this website after reading a book that encouraged support for those who are somewhere in the coming out process. I am 37 years old (38 this week-aggghh!) I have been married twice (whoops) and have two beautiful little girls (3 and 7). I am divorced and have been in a relationship with a woman for over a year (she was the reason for the demise of my second marriage). For the most part we are very happy together. We deal with the day-to-day struggles of life and overall work through them well. She is younger than me (24) and is in the process of coming out fully as a gay woman. Her family has been wonderfully supportive, as have her friends. Her family have been welcoming and accepting of me in their lives. I feel so lucky for that. However, I anticipate a very different experience with my own family. I am out to a few close friends and it has been a good experience. Two of my closest friends are lesbian women who are married (to each other) - their daughter and mine are close friends and brought us together. They are pillars of love and support for me. My brother knows and is fine with it. My parents don't really know, but may suspect, and if I confirm it I imagine it will "kill" them. Well, of course not really but my mother certainly gives that impression....so I say nothing of it to her. I am a professional in the community and my kids attend a local private religious (Jewish) school that is pretty open. There are at least 2 same sex couples with kids at the school. My second ex-husband has been emotionally and verbally abusive in the past, and while not presently abusive, I fear that if I make any bold moves regarding my sexuality he may attempt to try to take my youngest child from me. So in various ways I feel trapped in a closet. I am not sure how I would like to come out but right now I don't feel too safe even opening the door.

How's that for an intro? I am not looking for advice or feedback to this intro (unless you want to give it here), but I guess I wanted to just put a little about me out there to all of you, and to say hi. I hope to be a regular on here. :slight_smile:

Becky

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Becky, and welcome to EC!
    I like the introduction. Nice to hear you have found love, even if there are still some issues with fully coming out. There are a few posters here who came out only after already being married and having children, so I hope youll be able to find the help and support you need here! :slight_smile:

3. Sylver

Welcome Becky! I can relate a little to your experiences through my own, so don't be shy about talking. There's a lot of very helpful people here, and everbody really cares!

4. Jim1454

Hi Becky! Welcome to EC from Jim in Toronto!

I was married as well, and I have two daughters (6 and 8). My boyfriend was also married and he has a son and a daughter. I'm similar in age - 38 turning 39 this April.

Fortunately, my ex wife has been incredibly supportive and understanding, and I'm able to be as open about my sexuality as I want to be. (Although I had kept things quiet for the first couple of years until I told my kids this past summer that their dad was gay.)

I'm also fortunate to be in Canada, where the laws and general attitude towards homosexuals are a little more favourable. But I can understand how you'd be nervous.

I hope you find this forum hepful. If you want to speak to me (or any of the staff) one on one, you can click on my user name and send me a private message.

Good luck!

5. EM68

Welcome to EC Becky!

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Becky welcome to EC, I hope you find some help and support here at EC im sure you will everyone is really nice.

7. Aoifeee

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Becky and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC Becky! :smilewave

10. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Welcome to EC Becky!

11. Shebbs

:grin: Welcome to EC!!

12. Becky1234

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for all your welcome messages. I am SO happy to be here. :slight_smile:

Becky