1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glad to find this place

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by AtmaWeapon, Mar 12, 2011.

1. AtmaWeapon

I've been looking for a good and active LGBT community.

I'm 22 and have come to terms that I am a lesbian in recent months, having experienced same sex attraction since pre-school, known I was not straight since 9th grade in HS, and was always boyish in my ways (androgynous is maybe a better way to put it), but realize I can never feel what I can feel for the right woman/women for a guy, or doubt I can, and accept that (and if I ever do fall for a guy, well fine, but I know I am really oriented towards women).

Coming out to my mom was hard but she accepts it now. I think my dad and bro sort of know but I have not talked to them about it and gave my mom permission to mention it to people (family, her close friends, etc) since carrying that as a secret was a large emotional burden. I'm out to many of my friends. Many of my friends are LGBT identifying, I am a part of my university's GSA.

I am in the positive self-identification stage of my coming out. I also am a Christian and have completely reconciled my sexuality to my faith. I've been learning a lot about sexual orientation, the LGBT community, writing about it. I'm trying to combat invisibility in simple ways (i.e. wearing my rainbow wrist band on campus...I get some looks on occasion and feel self-conscious but am trying to get more comfortable being publicly seen by strangers as gay).

So yeah, I was very depressed prior, living a double life, but I feel happier and more at peace...a lot more, really. So far I really have had no problems from people about my orientation, those who know. So yeah. I am happy to have an online community now, too, and hope to read stories, socialize, and have some friendly and beneficial interactions. :slight_smile:

2. TheDarkerPoet

Hey, welcome to EC. Good for you with being open and accepting yourself, that's the greatest step anybody takes. :slight_smile:
    (&&&)

3. Peace

Hiya and welcome! ♥
    It's great that you're embracing your sexuality openly, I admire that. I hope you have a great time here at EC. (&&&)

4. ToTheCeilingFan

It's awesome you stumbled across EC, everyone's really awesome and accepting and it's a wonderful source of information. You've already made a huge step by loving yourself. The rest of the journey is downhill from here. <3

5. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Hii AND WELCOME TO EC! I hope we can help you out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:!

6. Tiny Catastrophe

hey welcome to EC. this was a great site to come across. everyones extremely helpful :slight_smile:

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! :smilewave

8. Eleanor Rigby

Hi and welcome to EC :slight_smile: That you for sharing your journey so far with us, it's good to know you're feeling more comfortable with yourself now.
    Take care and see you around, Cécile

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

10. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Welcome!
    It seems as if you have much to share with us! I look forward to seeing more of your stories!

11. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi :smilewave

Glad to hear things have worked out so well for you.

Hope you enjoy it here at EC (*hug*)