1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story in short..

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by ckjfez, Nov 11, 2007.

1. ckjfez

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm bi. Just saying that is hard for me, but i am coming to terms with the fact that i am. I know i'm not gay, becuase i really do love women as well. For the longest time i kept saying that i have a "curiosity" and that was my way of staying away from the "bi" side of the fence - haha. Idiot!! haha

I really do love my wife and am lucky because even after all these years of marriage, i am still not only in love with her, but very much in lust with her as well. She knows about my "curiosity" so to speak and doesn't have a real issue with it. I'm the one with the issue of telling her how much i want to take it further then i already have.

One of the main reasons why i have a phobia of breaking this to my wife is that as a kid i was abused by a family friend for nearly eight years. If I am bi, does that mean that what happened to me was something i asked for? I would hate to think this, becuase i have grown to dispise this man for what he did to me and other kids around us.

There is plenty more to this, but it would take me an eternity to write it all out.

Thanx for all the support i have already recieved in the few short days since i joined.

2. Kibuki kid

Welcome to EC! Hmm that looks a bit tough from my point of view, but you can get through it as long as you communicate properly. EC is a wonderful place to get advice and meet people just like you. Trust me just ask for the help/advice you need and there will be more than enough responses and different takes on the situation to clarify it......we're here for you as long as you want us here. Welcome to EC(&&&)

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The abuse has nothing to do with who you are attracted to now. I think you have a very understanding wife and as long as you keep on telling her how much you love her (and lust her!), things are going to be fine.

4. biisme

first off, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

second, u didn't ask for anything and nothing is your fault. the abuse was this man's fault and ur being bi is just who u are. know this.

i look forward to chatting w/ u in the future!

5. Louise

Hi, and welcome to EC.

The abuse you suffered as a child has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your homosexuality today. What that perverted paeodophile did is sick and has certainy had all sorts of negative effects on your life but your sexuality is something that comes from within. No one can make you homosexual (or bi sexual in your case) or stop you being if you are.

I look forward to chatting to you soon.:icon_bigg

6. Jim1454

I agree - I don't think anyone 'asks' for abuse or creates the enviroment for abuse to occur. And I don't think your experience would have set you up to be the way you are either.

Open an honest communication with your wife is key in your situation. Don't take your experiences with other men any farther without talking to your wife about it. If you're not sure how to do that, then working with a therapist or family counsellor would be great. It really has helped me come to an understanding of what I needed out of my life!

Good luck!

7. Kimi

Hello and Welcome to emptly closets!!

I completely agree with who already said that being abused has nothing to do with your sexuality at all.
    And you definitely no need to feel you have something to do with him abused you or other kids. It's totally his fault. So please don't feel it's your fault or anything.
    (*hug*) (*hug*)

Hope to see you around:thumbsup: :smilewave

8. ckjfez

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanx all,

the more I read within this site the more at home I really do feel here, which pretty much is a first for me. So thanx again

My biggest issue with talking to my wife about this, is that, even once she said it as well. If I am bi, does that mean I enjoyed what happened to me as a kid? As stupid as this question may seem to some of you, it's a question to which I haven't been able to find an answer to, well one which would "let me off the hook' so to speak? Does that make sense?

When I stated "did I ask for it" it was more of a metaphor then a literal question. I guess closer to what I’m asking is, whether i could have done something more to stop it and if I had, would I still be bi?

9. Astaroth

The answer to your question would be yes, you would still be bi. From recent studies (there's a great thread about this in another section of the board explaining what scientists believe causes homosexuality), it appears that it is literally hard-wired into the brain at birth. Most gay men (not sure about bi men) have a "feminized" brain in which different centers of the brain respond differently than straight men. From these studies, I would have to say that no matter what might or might not have happened as a child, you would have still developed an attraction toward the same sex in the end.

However, I believe that the sexual abuse as a child may have actually stunted this attraction due to the fear and self-loathing you're obviously going through about the experience. Instead of coming to terms with this part of yourself earlier, it hasn't manifested until later because of the mental trauma from your childhood. Now, I'm not a doctor or anything, but that's my best explanation.

10. ckjfez

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    At the risk of sounding stubborn or steadfast, I feel like if I "let myself be bi, that in some sort of way, I am forgiving that man for everything he did to me".

I know this sounds really stupid, but it's really hard to get this out of my head.

As much as I now know that I am bi, I have no idea how to discard this thought from my head.

11. hello2

It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and consideration. But it is obviously not an easy issue to deal with. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are abused as a kid it doesn't matter what gender you are, they are, or what sexual orientation you have or they have. If they are in a position of with power over you, whether that is age or size or social influence it is abuse. For instance if he had done the same thing to a girl it would have been equally wrong. Many people who have been abused come to a point where they blame themselves or question if it is something they did. Although it seems very unlikely that there is anything you could have done as a kid to draw that on yourself, even if you had it does not in any way excuse someone with any sort of power or influence over you to manipulate the situation to abuse you.

12. donnie5

first off welcome to EC!! your story sounds alot like my best frien who i came out to he is Bi and is confused on alot of things the way i see it is that being bi is even harder than being gay at times because it's not just one set thing for me i know i love men there is no physical attraction to women at all and that is that, but for you things are very confusing just hang in there:eusa_danc :eusa_danc

13. Jim1454

Pardon me while I get on my soap box...

Personally, I have benefited GREATLY from getting counselling from a therapist. I think that if you haven't tried this already, that you should really consider it. EC is a great site - it has helped me a lot too! But you probably need a bit more than this to work through these conflicting (and very valid!) feelings. You owe it to yourself and to your wife to work through them - once and for all.

As mentioned above, it does sound like you've given this a lot of thought. Good on ya! It's natural to have questions. I wondered "am I really gay, or did I just feel better cheating on my wife with other men rather than other women?" In hindsight, that was denial talking. If I was straight and was inclined to cheat on my wife - I would have cheated with other women! Lots of men do (unfortunatly). But I could only accept that I was gay in time, and when I was ready. You'll come to your own realizations and acceptance when YOU are ready.

Good luck. And stick around - this is a great site to share these kinds of issues.

14. Torture

Torture Guest

A little late, but welcome to EC.

15. mikeinla

Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely relate to the complexities of the bisexuality question.

I've found that raising one's bisexuality issue with female partners (where I've sensed a potential openness to discussing it), that it's been very rewarding.

I agree with one of the earlier posters who suggested that exploring the issue of abuse in a therapeutic setting may be a rewarding experience. I think it's hard to know exactly what role that's played in your (or anyone's) development without the help of a trained professional. I'm not familiar with the scientific literature, but I'm not entirely sure there's a hard and fast corollary between having been abused and one's sexual preferences. I, too, was abused (by a female babysitter) and that hasn't thrust me in one direction or the other. And I've never actually considered it in the light of my (present) bisexuality.
    In fact I am about to resume therapy to deal with some issues as it relates to my own sexuality and just reading this thread and responding reminds me that this is something that I should deal with as well.

I think your consideration of sharing your discovery with your wife is a courageous one. Just facing up to one's issues to bring someone to place of being at peace with themselves is, and to bring complete honesty to a relationship is, in itself brave. Keep searching, you'll find the answer.

16. ckjfez

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    this is great place,finding hard though to find a way of contributing to other threads - i know that sounds stupid but i can't wait to have enough posts so that i can join in on the chat site.

I guess this is just trying to make up my numbers!!! lol