1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by shyguy60, Jul 4, 2011.

1. shyguy60

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Consider me a late bloomer! I knew I was at least bisexual for the last 10 yrs of my marriage. Divorced at 50 and trying to find my way around a whole new world for me here in Houston. Not easy at this age, I can tell ya!
    Drew

2. Katelynn

Hello shyguy60! My name is Kiersten & welcome so much to EC! I sympathize with you. I'm 35 & I just finally realized who I am & what I need to become the person I've always been. A little regret for not doing so sooner, but everyone here has been so supportive & I know they will be here for you too! Big hugs & happy 4th of July!

3. shyguy60

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Kiersten,
    Always nice to know someone cares! Feeling pretty lonely most of the time. Go to a bar and chat up a couple of folks, but that's about it. Noone really seems interested in a 50 yr old guy these days. I guess my LACK of confidence caused by lack of experience comes across pretty loud and clear. Therapist tells me to give it some time and not to rush into anything or anyone. LOL

4. Katelynn

I'm with you. I can't even get in to see a therapist until October. The only one in town who's worked with transgender people like me isn't back in her office until then. And I feel pretty lonely too because I am just having the worst everything with relationships, to the point where I've pretty much given up on them altogether for now...

Anyway, forget my baggage, welcome so much again to EC! Everyone here is going to be awesome for you & don't hesitate to ask any questions!

5. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

welcome to EC! this site is awesome, and everyone here is friendly. :slight_smile:

6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyo, welcome to EC!

7. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome and Happy 4th.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC, Drew! Nice that you've found us.

First, I'd say bars are probably not the best place to go looking for friends or potential partners. They're great for hookups but not much else and, as you've discovered, the gay community, particularly at bars, tends to be very ageist.

Houston is a fairly accepting place with a decent sized gay population. I'd poke around and try and find some social groups. There are often potluck groups or book clubs or game night groups, or even hiking or other outing groups for older gay men than can be a lot of fun, and that's where I'd suggest you look to make connections with people.

I also strongly recommend Joe Kort's amazing, if poorly named book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love." The book has little to do with that subject but everything to do with understanding yourself and finding out about the things that limit you from having fulfilling relationships and how you can overcome them. It also has chapters that deal with gay men coming out later in life after marriage. I think you'll find it very helpful.

I hope you stick around and continue to participate here at EC, and feel free to ask any questions or share anything you wish about yourself and what comes up for you as you make this journey.

9. Hemera

Hello Drew and welcome to EC

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

I imagine it has to be tough coming out later in life, but its great that you took it on and are dealing with it. Like chip mentioned, try to find a social group rather than bars. Those places are just not the best overall xD

Best of luck with everything :slight_smile:

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and welcome!!