1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sort of came out at college today!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Katelynn, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Katelynn

OK, so I needed to speak with the dean of my college today about getting prior credit for a couple of courses (which I was able to get no problem, BTW!) & when we had sorted all of that out, I asked him if it would be OK if I started an LGBT club on campus since I couldn't find anything on the college's website about one. He said that he thought that there already was a club & to go speak with the Student Activity Council about it. I mentioned to him, in passing, that I had come out at the end of June as being transgendered & he didn't even seem to flinch. He wasn't doing cartwheels or anything, and it wasn't like I expected him to get excited, but I had told him just to give him a heads up sort of thing. I plan on transitioning while I'm in college, so I said to him that I'd have to figure out how I'd do it first, but that I wanted to let someone know. From the impression that I got, it didn't seem like it was a problem for him. Only snag I hit today was when I went over to the SAC office to find out about things & they were closed already. So, at the crack of dawn tomorrow, I plan on getting up so I can get the info I need & so I can get to my first meeting. Wish me luck! It seems a bit like a load off of my shoulders now, since it doesn't look like I'll have to start my own LGBT group just so I can have one to go to now. *lets out a big sigh of relief* It feels a bit nice to know there's that support there after all & it looks like I'll be able to come out at college in a safe environment at least. Whew!

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome!! Hopefully you can get to a meeting soon.

Also, it's awesome that your dean was so accepting. I know that the dean of my college is pretty awesome as well!! College is awesome because most of the people there are accepting.

3. Sadepeura

I hope you found the group!

4. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome, good luck! I'm sure there are a bunch of gay people on your campus!