1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My title is newbie, so a first post is called for...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by CarolineBennett, Sep 17, 2011.

1. CarolineBennett

Hello all. :smilewave I found this site a couple days ago. I've been in a bad place emotionally & I was searching for hotline #'s & somehow stumbled here.

I was relieved to find something online, the idea of calling a hotline was too scary for me... anyway, I was up all night reading the support section here & it seems a great place. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the idea of joining, but figured starting out saying hello here was an OK place to start... of course, I'm a bit nervous even about making a first post, so I'm sorry for rambling.

What to say as an intro...? I'm in my mid-20's. A year ago, I had to move from a city I loved, moved back to the midwest of the US in a town I hate. (With the added bonus of a terrible & homophobic father that hates who I am, which is helping me hate myself more than I ever had before... and more depression and... anyway...)

I miss being in a city that had an amazing queer community & now being without that, there's nowhere to meet anyone & it's like taking steps backwards, back to being more closeted & lonely... eek, I'm already complaining... :icon_redf I have work-at-home jobs right now, adding to stir-crazy feelings.

Re: labels/orientation/identity & all -- I'm a cisgendered female. I like to play with my look & go from femme to butch to everything in-between, though I'm generally on the femme side of the spectrum.

I feel most comfortable identifying as queer or pansexual. (I find some people offline don't seem to "get" those labels, so bisexual works OK enough I guess, too.) I find myself a 4 or 5 on the Kinsey scale, but sometimes lately realizing or questioning if I'm actually more of a 6... I'm mostly attracted to/experienced with women, as well as with transgendered & genderqueer folks.

I'm very single right now, but I guess the "more closeted now & lonely" rant might have given that away... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The whole relationship thing opens up a whole other post/ramble, so...

Re: Out status, when I lived in the city, I was completely out to absolutely everyone back there, friends, coworkers, etc. I dated & had a couple amazing relationships. I came out to my parents long ago. (My Mother is wonderful & amazing about it all. But as I said with my father... not good at all on that side of it.)

I still need to officially come out to the rest of my family... the friends in this stupid town I'm in now... I came out to one and it seems to have ended the friendship. :icon_sad: I have with a few others, and it's been OK so far with those. The friend I care about most in this town I haven't even met up again with due to the anxiety of... anyway, when it comes to random people here I try not to care what they think of me, although at times that hasn't felt like the safest attitude to take here, so...

Random trivia about me beyond the above? I love all of the arts, both as a participant & spectator, lol. Performance art, writing, music, photography... the list goes on. I dig the sort of "NYC underground scene" of performance art/cabaret/music/theater/drag the most. I really miss that & wish I could find something like it in the middle o' nowhere.

Besides the arts, I also like lots of geeky/nerdy things. I can get obsessive with certain movies & TV shows. It totally made me :icon_mrgr to see all the Whedon TV show options in the default avatar section! (& My username is a reference to 2 characters from the show "Dollhouse.")

I'm just getting into reading comics/graphic novels. I also enjoy video games, RPG's, and I never turn down a game of Scrabble! I love reading... pretty much any book I can get my hands on. (Right now I'm loving Patti Smith's "Just Kids.") I also try to make constant learning a goal & enjoy finding things to just research--for fun!

I'm not quite comfortable using my real first name yet, but I know that my username is a long one to type! So feel free to abbreviate or call me whatever... "Caroline," "C.B," "Arty Geeky Person," "Hey you with the Eliza Dushku crush," ha, whatever works. :icon_razz

I guess when I'm nervous I go on & on, I'm sorry this is so long & I hope that's OK. I've read all the rules & stickies & hope I'm doing things right here.

I have had lots of experience with coming out and such & would really like to be able to help others here if I can. But I'm afraid I'm in too much of a depressive state & might not be able to yet, I might need/want to try to talk/post things out for support for a while. Is that OK? Is it OK to just jump in? Or to ask for help/advice before even posting or helping much? Or is it OK to jump in with responses to others seeking support, even as a newbie?

Sorry again for the length. If you've read this far, thank you. I'll try to not post so much or such long posts! :icon_redf

2. Eponine

Welcome to EC!

Just take things at your own pace around here. Make some posts here and there, get to know some people, and you'll get the swing of things in no time. :slight_smile:

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyo, welcome to EC!

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! :smilewave

I'm sure you'll like it here.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC, dont panic everyone is nervous when they first start posting you will soon settle in.

6. Katelynn

Hi Caroline!(*hug*) Welcome so much to EC, I glad you were able to find us! This is such a wonderful, supportive place, so I know you will love it here! And don'y worry, I had a really long first post too! And I am TOTALLY a big Joss Whedon fan too! Especially Buffy & Firefly, so you're in good company. Eliza is cute, so I can understand why you'd have a big crush on her! The big crush for me tho is Summer Glau, OMG, she is just sooo adorable! Ha ha! I too live in a place that isn't very friendly for people like us & my coming out to my mum was disastrous, she even outed me to me dad even after I asked her not to, so I can understand what you're going thru with parents as well. Anyway, feel free to just be yourself & you never have to worry about just being honest here, we're all here to support you! (&&&)

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

8. CarolineBennett

Victor, Nazo, Gerry, silverhalo, kiersten & thecat06 --

Thank you so much for the quick replies & welcomes! I especially appreciated the advice, reassurance & all that jazz about posting. Thanks for being awesome & welcoming, even after my big wall of text, LOL. Everyone seems great & I look forward to reading/posting & getting to know y'all. I'm a bit out of sorts at the moment so I might be in a "read only" mode on & off or go back to rambling away, but I'm getting the sense that either of those things is OK here...

Thanks again, I truly appreciate the responses! *insert group hug smiley here* :slight_smile:

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have one! (&&&)

10. seeksanctuary

Hello! :]

Welcome to EC. I hope you have a wonderful time here. It seems like a really nice, calm and supportive place.

And gotta love the "pansexual, you mean you're turned on by kitchenware?" reactions some people have, eh? Haha.

11. wellhidden

wellhidden Guest

Hi and helllo, i am currently eating watermelon wanna bite? :grin:

12. Mercy

Mercy Guest

hmm no thanks

13. Gallatin

Bienvenue!! :smilewave

14. Artemicion

Welcome to EC :slight_smile:!

15. CarolineBennett

Now that I've realized where the smilies are, a proper group hug :wink: -- (&&&)

Y'all are awesome & I'm so glad to have found this site. It can be hard to find such an understanding & supportive space online, but methinks I've found one here. Thanks again for the welcome! (Now, to get up the courage to post elsewhere on the threads/forums, lol! :icon_redf )

16. bryan176

Hello and Welcome to EC. We are all here to discover ourselves. Let us know if we can help in anyway :slight_smile:

17. rachy19

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey hope u doin good. I here if ever u wanna chat about anything or even just too have a good moan x

18. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :grin:

19. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey and :welcome: to EC :slight_smile: we're a friendly bunch here (&&&)
    :thewave:

20. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is from 2011.