1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An asexy ally

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by anatta, Nov 14, 2011.

1. anatta

:smilewave
    Hello. I am a panromantic (I think) asexual (I know). I'm not really here because of that so much as because I am very interested in LGBT issues and helping where I can. I am not diagnosed with Asperger's or any autistic disorder - because although a psychiatrist suspects I have it, getting referred on the NHS for assessment is a PAIN IN THE NECK even with a psychiatrist and a GP fighting your corner, and it's mild enough that I have by now, after much difficulty, taught myself enough social skills that I'm barely disabled by it at all usually - but I do have some traits quite distinctly and one of them is my 'obsessive' interest in subjects others might find odd.

Hence, I can tell you even more about research into sexual orientation and gender differentiation in the womb more generally than most LGBT people I've come into contact with, and I'm more motivated to get involved politically and charitably than any LGBT people my age whom I've met. That's not a criticism, just conceding that yes, my level of interest is unusal given my age, relative lack of direct experience and formal education in the matter. It's not a bad thing, but I know others sometimes find it odd, creepy or over-bearing when you're more intensely involved in their issue than they are, haha. In fact I have heard of non-LGBT allies being given a hard time for getting involved at all, as if it's patronising somehow, but I haven't seen evidence of that when lurking here. I know most people are very happy to have outsider support, just as Aspies and ADDers are. So hello everyone. :slight_smile:

2. Vesper

Welcome to EC, and I look forward to seeing you contribute your knowledge and insights!

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyo, welcome to EC!

4. Aeon Magus

Interesting signature... I chuckled at the last bit, never noticed that in the show.

Hello, Darling (Anatta), and welcome to EC. :smilewave

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

6. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome!

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

8. Gallatin

Bienvenue!! :smilewave

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! :smilewave

I'm sure you'll like it here! :slight_smile:

10. anatta

Thanks everyone :icon_bigg

Oh dear, I've put pressure on myself to deliver, now, haven't I? :icon_bigg

You didn't notice the scooter thing, or the bag thing as well? If you didn't know the story, I was referencing the complaints that were made about Tinky Winky having a reddish/pinkish bag.

If just the scooter thing, haha yes, that's exactly my point: masculine behaviour in female children's characters barely registers on most people's radar, and even when it's pointed out and described for the audience, like the behaviour and self-perception of female character George in Enid Blyton's Famous Five, who these days would be called a transgendered child (so this is no new phenomenon, there's long been a double standard), it's not made into a scandal.

Only when male characters exhibit significant feminine traits do these complaints come in, and more specifically, only when those characters are for once portrayed positively - there are actually MANY examples of feminine male characters in Disney films and other cartoons that haven't been complained about, but they're always the villain (John Ratcliffe, Scar, Satan in Cow and Chicken etc.), and that seems just fine: as long as the message is that feminine males are bad and the good guys beat them up, parents don't complain. :dry:

Only NICE feminine males like Tinky Winky and Spongebob are seen as problematic by these people, and in every case, equivalently masculine females (e.g. Sandy Cheeks, LaLa) aren't even mentioned.

11. Artemicion

Hi and welcome to EC :slight_smile:!

12. Aeon Magus

No, I have seen them with the bag and scooter before... just never associated them with anything LGBT related, like Lala being tomboy-ish because she rides around on her scooter and Tinky Winky being flamboyant because he goes around with his bag.
    And no (Haha), I didn't know there were 'complaints' about this regarding the show either. Some people just read too much into these things sometimes. They're supposed to be shows kids can enjoy watching, without the nagging gits' negative views slamming the show for them.
    Haha, Satan (from Cow and Chicken) had a shiny polished rear. :lol:
    On another note, seeing as you're into these cartoon characters portraying LGBT qualities... I've had to go look it up again, because, for the life of me, I couldn't remember who the married couple were in DC comics. Midnight (male) and Apollo (male). Here they are:

LGBT themes in comics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't even know about the rest of these characters. :eek: Shocking!

13. Eleanor Rigby

Hi and welcome to EC :slight_smile:

14. anatta

Thank you Eleanor, I love that song (assuming that is not actually just your real name, which would be really cool :lol:slight_smile:

Satan was hilarious. I wouldn't mind effeminate characters being evil like him if they would only balance it out by having some good ones as well, like they do with the hyper-masculine villains.

I don't read comic books, have dabbled in manga a bit though and there are quite a lot of same sex relationships and transgendered behaviour/characters in that (famously, the Yaoi and Yuri genres centralise on same sex relationships... although there are certainly issues there, like how 'rapey' Japanese manga is in general, and how they are usually supposed to be straight except for one special relationship...).

Japan certainly isn't free of homophobia but it has a different tone than it has in more heavily Abrahamic-influenced societies, and from what I have read and seen, there is a LOT less transphobia and effeminophobia there.

As well as the manga and anime featuring LGBT-ish situations at a higher rate, a striking example is the pink, bow-wearing Nintendo character Birdo, who in Japanese versions of games is described as a male who presents as feminine and wants to be female. In exported versions, of course, she is cisgenderised, to appease the transphobes and effeminophobes who wouldn't want their children to think about such situations until they're old enough to have been conditioned to have irrational negative feelings about gender atypicality first.

#14 anatta, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  15. Doctor Faustus

Hello, welcome! Also from England!

16. Aielar

Welcome to EC, it's always nice to have lgbt supporters around :slight_smile: