1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Out

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by DoctorWho, Apr 9, 2012.

1. DoctorWho

Last week I decided to come out on Facebook and everything was good. Everybody was excepting and writing supporting comments. However there was one person who I was surprised wasn't okay; My Grandfather.He (being born in an earlier era) apparently is a bigot. Fortunately he is working on it and is at least talking to me is good. I am going to be seeing him in the summer and I need some advice. I really need help on what I should do

2. Aeon Magus

Congrats on coming out to so many people at once, it's a very brave thing to do.
    Your gramps will process all of it in time, I'm sure. :thumbsup:

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is he religous, perhaps you could get him info from the PFLAG website. If he has said he is working on it then its still positive because he wants to change.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Congratulations!
    Give your grandfather some time, especially older people need time to deal with such sudden revelations.
    Just be yourself, so your grandfather can see you're still you, nothing's new, you've just told him who you are attracted to.
    Lots of support and best regards,
    Thomas

---------- Post added 10th Apr 2012 at 01:04 PM ----------

Also: I knew the Doctor is gay! No way he could spend all those years with all those women and not fall in love with one of them.
    I mean look how he responded to Amy's advances:icon_wink

5. DoctorWho

Thanks Everyone and I am sure he will

[/COLOR]Also: I knew the Doctor is gay! No way he could spend all those years with all those women and not fall in love with one of them.
    I mean look how he responded to Amy's advances:icon_wink[/QUOTE]

Lol this made me laugh!

6. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

Doctor, I always thought you 8th incarnation was hot

7. Artemicion

8. DoctorWho

9. NickD

Congratulations! And like the advice above, give Grandpa some time. You've had far more time to think about this than he has.

And on a personal note, My brother-in-law has made it clear in no uncertain terms what an abomination homosexuals are and he has no intention of changing. So, I just make it a point to make him as uncomfortable as possible :slight_smile: I'm also blessed to have two older brothers that defend me selflessly against him. BUT, I don't think this approach will work with Grandpa...

Another idea, is he old enough to be of the WWII era? And if so was he an allied sympathizer? If so, point out how the Nazis persecuted homosexuals as well as Jews and Gypsies and maybe suggest a documentary or book on the subject (like Paragraph 175).

Congrats again and good luck!

10. DoctorWho

Yes he was his father and Grandfather I believe were in that war. And after I visited him during the summer, and we have talked alot more (not abut it per se but we still talk which is good) plus, after a little bit I had talked to him on the phone, and we had a nice little chat and he and I said we loved each other. So everything, I guess is a lot better!