1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by RossF94, Jul 18, 2012.

1. RossF94

Firstly, thank you to anyone who reads this because it must get so repetitive reading another introduction post. I find these things quite awkward, but I'd like to begin to reach out and hopefully find some understanding.

I am 18 years old (seems like a bit late to come out, but I was ridiculously shy as a child) and I am from the city of Edinburgh, in Scotland. I've known about my sexual orientation since I started high school, at age 13, but have largely ignored it up until now. In the past, the most important thing to me has always been getting good grades and doing well in school which I am glad that I did; however, it did cause me to miss out on some of the better things about high school (you'll surely know what I mean!). Anyway, I've decided that, before university starts in September, I am going to be honest with my friends and family. I'm hoping to move on and hopefully make friends at university, but I want to be honest and comfortable being myself which, as of yet, I haven't been.

That's basically it! Sorry for the little life-story and hello to everyone on this forum! :smilewave

2. Night Rain

Hey, I first came out to my best friend when I was 17 or 18 (I have no recollection of that, so much for the first time!).

Hello and welcome! :grin:

3. Scenestealer

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome ^^ You can message me about whatever you want.

4. Night Rain

You both have to be full members first. :icon_bigg

5. Reader

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello! Welcome, I hope and think that EC shall help you be more open about your sexuality. Seriously, I've only been here a few days and it's brilliantly helpful :redface:

6. Scenestealer

Out Status:
    A few people
    *Wall post ^^" Forgot I can't message people anymore.

7. IrisM

Welcome to EC. Know that here, you are among friends. Remember if you find yourself with any questions or are in need of support that many people have been in similar situations and will be happy to give you advice.

8. Swim2Fly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome! Coming out at 18 is definitely not that late! Just do it whenever you're comfortable and ready, which it sounds like you are right now (and that's a very good thing since you're heading off to school, where things can really pick up sexually). You seem to have a good grip on what you want and need, so I don't see things being too messy in your case. Just take things one step at a time, and keep on asking away if you feel like you need to.

Like you, I have been playing the waiting game, focusing on other priorities rather than my sexuality. Unlike you, I made it all the way through college and wasn't sure I was gay until right around when I graduated. If you know that you are, you'll definitely be able to find resources/friends to move you along! But there's no shame in keeping busy with other things like school, as long as you are all right with that. I wouldn't even call it procrastinating. :slight_smile:

Well, hello/welcome again, and good luck!

9. Gallatin

Bienvenue! :smilewave

Not to worry, 18 is not too late to come out! I came out to one person when I was 18 and my parents and most of my friends when I was 19.

10. RossF94

Thank you all so much! You've been very welcoming and made me feel a little less awkward.
    Hoping to get some advice on here, if I ever need it, and might even be able to offer some insight for other people as well.

Thanks!

11. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome, Ross. :slight_smile: There are many people willing to provide advice upon request, and you'll certainly see no shortage of high quality stuff.

12. RossF94

Thanks! It's good that everyone is so easy to talk with.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!! I started coming out when I was 18 too. So, you're not coming out late :icon_bigg

14. Wolfgirl90

Hi there! Welcome to EC - from my experience, people here have been pretty fantastic and helpful. So I'm excited for you that you've joined EC. I'm going to echo everyone else in here and say: 18 isn't too late! :thumbsup: I joined this site just last October, and I'm 22 years old. I commend you for the desire to be honest with your friends and family. I look forward to reading your posts!(*hug*)

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

16. RossF94

Thanks for the re-assurance. Was never really worried, just a little bit surprised by how people a lot younger than me can be so secure in themselves, whilst I am still a bit clueless. :lol:

Thanks for your support! 22 is still young too! I've always thought honesty was the best way to do things, as far as you can help it!

Hi there, Thanks a lot! icon_bigg

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2012 at 09:45 PM ----------

Thanks for the re-assurance. Was never really worried, just a little bit surprised by how people a lot younger than me can be so secure in themselves, whilst I am still a bit clueless. :lol:

Thanks for your support! 22 is still young too! I've always thought honesty was the best way to do things, as far as you can help it!

Hi there, Thanks a lot! :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2012 at 09:46 PM ----------

Oops. I seem to have posted twice, still getting used to this. Apologies.

17. Hello & Welcome to EC!

18. Aeon Magus

Hello, and welcome to EC, Ross. :slight_smile: