1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by MariRawr, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello there~ I recently found this site. Went looking for an LGBT community and I'm glad I found this one.

I guess I'll just introduce myself.
    Hi. I'm a 17 years old girl, attending high school in the Netherlands. I'm 5'7, got brown hair, kinda blue eyes and I'm a lesbian, hah.
    That last bit is probably not going to fall too well with my new classmates that I'll have the upcoming year. But since I'm quite sick of keeping my mouth shut every time my old classmates went on a rant about how gays are disgusting, stupid, etc. I'm just going to speak up and calmly mention my sexual orientation next time the opportunity comes up at school.
    Who knows? My new class might actually be filled with the few reasonable teens that're left in my city. That'd be great. But even if that doesn't happen, I know for a fact a friend of mine is going to be in the same class so if they try to bring me down, I'll just ignore them and hang out with her instead. It's their loss.

Now as for the story behind me coming out and such? Well, as a kid I was always "the tomboy" to everyone. I still am a tomboy. Not much has changed besides that I found out why I never started liking boys while every other girl around me did. At the age of 14 I fell in love with a girl and discovered that I'm a lesbian. Not that big of a deal to me, at all, I never had a problem with gays to begin with, just that my environment isn't that sweet to people like me.
    I'm already different enough being a tomboy. Topping that with me being a lesbian, I'm a huge target for bullies. And hence I've been bullied every single year I spent in high school, so that's been... 4 years. And in elementary I also had slight bully cases, just not as bad as now.
    Anyhow, I hadn't actually spoken up about it until this spring. My parents didn't know, but a bunch of my friends did. The reason for this was my dad being extremely hard to read on the subject and me not wanting trouble. Eventually I ended telling my mom anyway and she suggested telling my dad for me because she understood my concerns and she's just really sweet. So she then told my dad, who at first forgot about my request of him not starting a whole talk about it since I was already sure and I didn't need the "is it not just a phase?" talk, but when I reminded him, he stopped and simply accepted it.
    Things at home have gotten a lot nicer since I came out since I now don't have to shut up every time a relationship question pops up. And because we're all a bunch of jokers at my house, we tend to throw jokes at each other, so now I can do that openly too, and so can they. I'm glad my older brother is also seeing the fun in it and not going back to his old homophobic days (back when he was 17 - 18, he used to openly talk about hating gays, and I was 14 at the time and already aware that he spoke of hating what I am) though he seems a little scared his girlfriend might like me more than him. XD

Anyhow, I'm not expecting you guys to read the whole thing. Just something you can read if you want to. I just wanted to say hi and for the ones that might be interested put up a little description, just in case.

Hello everyone, it's nice to meet you~

2. hml8

Hey welcome to EC :slight_smile: That's a really in depth intro', your fam seem really cool about it so congrats! :slight_smile: and good luck with your classmates, I'm sure it will be fine :slight_smile:

3. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you. And sorry about the huge wall of text. I don't really have much to do and I was thinking about the upcoming school year so... that's where that came from.

4. timo

Welcome!

At first I was like "is it that bad in dordt?" then realised most teens are idiots. Kids at my high school were pretty hateful towards LGBT people too, I'm glad I'm done with that. The older people get the more accepting they (luckily) seem to be.

BUT I hope your new class will be accepting! And like you said, if they don't it's their loss :slight_smile:

5. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey, cool, another Dutch person XD
    I think it's a combination of me going to mavo before (going to havo this year), teens being ridiculous and Dordt being quite terrible at being... well... nice. Anyhow, I know things get better when people get older. The whole homophobic hate thing is often connected to fear, and most teens experience that when they're about 14 - 18 so it's not weird my former classmates were so focussed on it. Anyhow, thank you.

6. Gallatin

Bienvenue! :smilewave

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

9. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi everyone ^^ Thank you for the kind welcoming words.

10. Hypnotico

Hypnotico Guest

Hi, Marirawr, welcome to EC! I did read the whole thing :slight_smile: Good luck with your classmates but at least your family was accepting, that's really great news! Hope you like it here!

11. Aeon Magus

Hello, MariRawr, and welcome to EC. :slight_smile: