1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi ~shy smile~

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Linguistic_Geek, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Linguistic_Geek

Hi all!

I just signed up today and thought I would jump in and introduce myself.

Um...I'm female. I'm a grad student. I love to bake and cook and sew and paint (walls, not pictures), and all that good stuff.

I'm not exactly...out....I haven't told many people, but most of my friends know. I have problems with the words "I'm gay" but I'm ok with the words "I want a girlfriend" (if someone could explain to me WHY that is, I'd be very very happy). So far everyone has been incredibly supportive.

That's all....for now....I think.... :icon_redf

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Hello & Welcome. :slight_smile:

It is called denial?

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

4. Gen

Gen

Why Hello (^_^)^

5. Hot Pink

Welcome to EC! Nothing to be nervous about. We're all friendly here--mostly. I bite, though, so watch out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Katelynn

Hi CdnTeapot! Welcome so much to EC!!! (*hug*) Simple, the reason you dont like saying youre gay but are fine with saying you want a girfriend is easy - you, like many of us here, dont like being labeled. Who does? A lot of people dont like slapping a label on themselves, being summed up as a 'gay' or 'lesbian' is no different that being summed up as a 'gearhead' or 'band geek' or a 'brainiac'. Many people dont like being reduced down to such a basic level, it just doesnt define the complex, wonderful, unique people that they are! At the same time, you're good with saying you want a girlfriend because that is how you feel & you are comfortable with saying that & feeling that, which is good! It means you are open & honest with yourself about what you want for yourself & as a part of your life! Hope that helps, or at least makes some sense! :slight_smile:

7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Hi there Welcome to Ec :smilewave

8. hello and welcome! It's understandable to not like the words "I'm gay". If you aren't completely out and/or comfortable with yourself it is completely normal. When I first started coming out to my friends as bi it was hard for me to say "I'm bi". It usually came out as "I'm" (strong and confident) then "bi" (which kind of trailed off and I may or may not have to repeat myself because the volume I said it was so quiet). I also remember even after I came out talking about my boyfriend or a date I went on to friends I know are fine with it and getting all nervous and shaky, not making eye contact. It's normal. We've grown up in a society where the word gay holds a stigma and its hard to shake. It gets easier to say it the more you say it. I suggest saying it to yourself everynight before you go to sleep. I know it sounds stupid but it really helped me a lot. Everynight before I went to bed I'd whisper it to my pillow, until it eventually just rolled off of my tongue....

Anyways, welcome again!

9. ForceAndVerve

10. Schabanak

Welcome to EC :slight_smile:

11. Silver Sparrow

Welcome to EC!
    As many above posters said, a lot of people don't like labeling themselves. There still isn't a label that's comfortable for me, so I mostly use panfluid or sometimes bi. Whatever works for you should work for everyone.

12. Kat kanu

Hi hows it going nice to meet ya everyone is real cool on here so don't be afraid
    to talk to all us

13. Linguistic_Geek

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'll post more when I get the words in my head to make sense outside of my head... :slight_smile:

14. itsjoanna

Hello and Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Aeon Magus

Hello, CdnTeapot, and welcome to EC. :slight_smile: