1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just saying hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by PinkTractor, Sep 13, 2012.

1. PinkTractor

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so I wanted to say hello, and how glad I am to have found this site. After reading a lot of the threads all of you have posted I feel optimistic that this may be a good fit for me. My primary reasons for being here are to discuss the experiences and consequences of being closeted, of questioning one's sexual orientation, most specifically dealing with these issues quite late in life. I probably have more questions than answers at this point, but I would be happy to offer what I can, and be grateful for what all of you can teach me.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC. What are your questions?

3. PinkTractor

Hi again,

I actually just posted a frighteningly long note in the Advice section about that, about the positive consequences of coming out versus the potential price one pays for doing so. I suspect that my age (47 years) makes the answers different for me than for many people here. Still, if you want to go read that post and have any insights I'll be grateful.

Sad p.s. When typing my age above it came out 470 years the first time. I had to sit and think about it for a second, it seemed possible.....Sigh.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

5. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a married mother of two wonderful brats! :lol: I have been with my husband for 11 amazing years now, married for 10. I am bisexual. I know - I married a man. Well yes, because that is who I feel in love with, doesn't make me straight. Before him, most of my relationships have been with men, although I did have some same sex relationships, but that was in my teenage years, I meet and feel in love with my husband at 21. Only a few people know who I really am. My husband, of course, my brother, one of my sister in laws (who is gay) and my cousin - who is also my best friend. Everyone else just assumes I am straight. Honestly the subject never came up. Although if I were ever asked, I would never deny it. I don't hide it now, but I don't feel the need to annouce it to everyone. I support and attend Pride events at work and in the city. And I have always voiced my opinions on LGBT issues. Anyway. Thats me ... thats who I am. Thanks. :icon_wink

6. Jackdaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello again Pink Tractor.
    Nice to meet somebody else on this forum who is also the wrong side of 40 years old. And I've only been a member now for about 20 hours LOL
    I must make the effort to read your post in the "Advice" section.

Also greetings to Jonimarie who is also a "newbie" to EC

It's good to meet you both (*hug*)

7. Schabanak

8. Hi! Welcome. If you never need anything, I'm here for you.

9. Pexetta

Welcome PT. Dealing with things late in life is something I can relate to.

I was starting to think I was the only one.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're 47. What can you teach us? Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if the median age here is like 23. I doubt we have much to teach you.

I am glad you have found a place you feel safe to explore your feelings. I wish you well on your journey.

11. PinkTractor

Hello back to everyone--thanks for introducing yourselves. I look forward to getting to know people here. Pret Allez brings up a valid point--for people my age the etiquette of negotiating conversations about transgender/bisexual issues isn't anything we will have learned automatically growing up. I was taught common courtesy however, and will have to hope that keeps me from offending inadvertently. Just keep in mind I'm the dreaded "mom/grandma" who has to hand their item of technology to their kid because they can't figure out how to do basic things, and please be patient.

12. TearDropFairy91

:smilewave It's nice to meet you welcome to EC I hope you find what you need here ^_^

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh hey, don't worry about that. That's part of my signature, which you can tell because it's below a separating line. I just made that my signature because I am tired of what people say about bisexual and transgender folks on the forum from time to time.

I still maintain that we probably have more to learn from you than you do from us. We're all just kind of working through figuring out who we are and getting comfortable with those parts of our identities or helping others do that if we have already done so.

14. PinkTractor

Agh! Seperating line! I did not know that, thanks. :icon_redf
    I do have to say it's interesting to be reading posts from so many people my daughter's age. It will be fun to learn from each other. Take care!