1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here goes nothing?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Mutie, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Mutie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To be blunt, this is the first time I've done anything of this nature, and posting on a forum like this has got me very nervous, but I've decided I'mma do it anyway (nerves be damned). One overly-sheltered 20-something young lady with an extremely homophobic family and a lifetime of anxiety issues -- check!

I am honestly looking forward to getting to know and connect with people here, so please bear with me as I attempt to get a grip on myself long enough to actually be social! I was in desperate need of a support group of some kind and after a lot of fruitless poking around on the internet, I finally managed to come across EC. This site looks very promising, and seeing the amount of activity in the forums made me smile. :slight_smile:

You can call me Mutie (any Homestuck fans around...?) or Jennie, if you'd prefer. I'm a full-time college student with a part-time job, I'll be 23 later this month, and I have come out to a grand total of 3 people in my lifetime, so... I don't see myself leaving this particular closet anytime soon, out of necessity. I'd prefer not to be disowned at a point in time when I can't afford to get my own place. :eusa_doh: But I am steadily building up to that, and any advice on how to deal with homophobic Christian parents would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping to use this as an opportunity to be open about who and what I am without fear of it somehow getting back to my family, and so far, EC is looking like a great place to start. :icon_bigg Hello!

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!! I haven't had to deal with homophobic parents, but I've had to deal with some homophobic family members. Sometimes you can try to gauge how they will react by bringing something up (like something LGBT related in the news.)

I would definitely wait until you are able to support yourself. Sometimes parents will come around, sometimes they will not.

Also, there is a really good movie called Prayers for Bobby. It's a little depressing, but it's worth it for the message.

3. castle walls

Hello! Welcome to EC! If you need anything or just want to talk, feel free to contact me

:welcome:

4. Bree

Welcome! Good choice! This is the best forum I've found to date!

5. AlexisAnne

Welcome to EC! I can understand the parents issue through my dad. If it makes you feel any better I've been mostly out as bi for like eight years and still haven't figured out how to address that particular issue so you're not alone :slight_smile:

Anyway, enough about me. Hope you enjoy your time here.

6. Mutie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the warm welcome!! :slight_smile:

7. Schabanak

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC, I think you will find that a lot of members here are not serial forum posters but came here in a similar situation to yours and just could never tear themselves away.