1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evening

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Eclipse, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Eclipse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I stumbled upon this site a few months ago, but refused to register until recently. I don't consider myself a very social person, but I will communicate when it's necessary.

Like many of you, I'm here because I harbor a very big secret. It's something I've considered for over ten years, but didn't start trying to accept it until recently. Over the years my entire family has let out many anti-gay statements. One of the most confusing I heard was my parents always saying their own kids could not be gay, but children who were born into other families could. As a result I grew up hiding what some would call a massive part of me, but I don't want you to think I'm desperately in need of help. Overall, I'm a very happy person and accept that when I do come out of the closet, it's other people who will be at a loss if they can't accept it.

Even though I'm starting to accept it, I have to admit that I hate being gay. At the moment it does nothing but make things more complicated and unnecessarily difficult. Whenever I hear somebody talking about anything gay in my house I immediately (and very ridiculously) jump to the conclusion that they're about to talk about me. I'm working on that.

So why am I here if I've reached a stable point? Simple. Now that I've started accepting it, albeit still rather embarrassed to talk about it with the people in my life, I believe I could still benefit from educating myself on the matter. I don't like to think of being gay as only my problem, even though it might be.

I am a little terrified of finding out what my family would do if they ever found out. I've heard so many stories with results ranging from accepting to finding your furniture out on the front lawn. While I don't think they'd ever do that to me, you honestly never know for sure. One of my current goals in life is to get myself to a stable position where I don't need to rely on others, but that's a lot harder to do these days with the economy being such a drag. Since I'm stuck here for a few more years I figured it'd be easier to make peace with my problem rather than try to inflate it.

I'll cut it here. I've noticed when you begin the road to acceptance you can suddenly go on and on about the subject. I promised myself I would not do that in my introduction.

Thanks for the terrific website.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

3. AlexisAnne

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome! It's nice to hear that you're doing ok for the most part. I'm sorry your family isn't very accepting at this point. Sometimes though when it does directly effect them, their views can change for the better since it is someone that they trust who knows what they're talking about, and more importantly because they love and care for their child. You are smart in waiting until you are no longer dependent on them, even though it's a bit of a shitty situation to have to hide yourself.

Do you have any friends that might be accepting? Just having 1 person know makes a tremendous difference in how you feel, especially if they are accepting and open. Also overtime I'm sure your view of being gay will change. Pretty much all of us hated being gay at some point, but we learn to embrace it and start living happily, paying less attention to all the negative energy that is out there focused on us. It just takes time. (*hug*)

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Welcome! I wish you the best of luck!

6. Eclipse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

I've read from other sources that family members who are indifferent about homosexuality will also turn themselves around when they find out somebody close to them is gay. While that is comforting, I wish it was enough of a reason to come out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I do have a couple friends I can tell, but I'm going to hold off on that for the moment. Six months tops. I'd like to give myself a chance to become more comfortable about it on my own terms. I'm also preparing for potential questions they may have. I think most closeted gay people fear their friends will start off with "So... Are you attracted to me?" Of course, many gay people probably find that absurd, but it seems worth preparing for.

If you or anyone else wouldn't mind, when you came out were there things people asked you that threw you off guard and wish you could have considered? I know you can never have all the answers, but you sure can try. ^_^

7. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, honestly there was nothing that has caught me off guard yet. I think you can prepare all you want, but usually what you've prepared for doesn't even get brought up and things usually turn out a lot better than expected. :wink:

8. Ticklish Fish

Hi! I like finding Nemo too! lol. but never watched the 3D one yet...

9. itsjoanna

Hello and Welcome to EC!
    Such a nicely written intro.
    Mine was so awkward haha.

10. Pyrotactick

Welcome! I'm sorry for your problems v_v it's always harder in those areas where people aren't as accepting. Sometimes if your lucking you could find a job and move in with another person as a roommate, :l pretty good idea of you ask me. Anyway, good luck! And finally, welcome to the site!

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

12. Schabanak