1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm feel so stuck

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Tibbs90, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Tibbs90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi. I'm a 40 yr old divorced dad. I've become more curious over that past 10 to 12 years. But,I have always tried so hard to keep my past marriage together, that now I wonder if I wasted all this time hiding. I even raced into another relationship with. Gal I knew after my divorce. I'm also Mormon. I've been pretty religious through my life. But, these feelings don't go away. I've had a few crushes on guys. I also have a side at likes to cross dress. Myron's, is that I don't know no w to accept myself this way when I've been taught that God won't accept gays, etc. how do you come out of the closet when you've been it so long? I feel like I'm past my prime to even date. I gust feel like I've f'ed up my life from hiding. I wish I could meet someone where I live. NAND, if I do, how do I deal with this and how the LDS Chrch feels about those who are gay? I really need help, please.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome. You're in the right place. :slight_smile:

First, you're far from over the hill. There are plenty of people your age and older who are just coming to terms with their sexuality, and plenty of men your age looking for relationships so you're far from past dating age.

Second, I think I hear you saying that you are likely or probably gay, but having difficulties coming to terms with that. And that's totally to be expected, especially given your religious background. In any process of accepting loss (the loss of the idea you're straight, in this case) there are five stages we go through: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. So it sounds like you're already fairly far along that path, which is a big plus. Do recognize that it's going to take you some time to accept and love yourself for who you are -- whatever orientation that happens to be -- because you've had a lifetime of nonsense fed to you by the LDS church, which has undoubtedly created a lot of shame and discomfort at the idea that you can be a good person, a spiritual person, and still be gay or otherwise have same-sex attractions. So I'd suggest that exploring yourself and learning to love yourself as you are is the first step.

I strongly recommend getting a copy of Joe Kort's amazing "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" It has little to do with finding real love, but everything to do with understanding who you are, and dealing with the shame and guilt associated with accepting same-sex attractions.

From my (limited) knowledge of LDS theology, that may be a challenge, as my understaning is that they are among the most vehemently anti-gay of the organized religions prevalent in the US. I don't know if they still excommunicate gay members, but I know that in the fairly recent past that was pretty common. There is an offshoot group of LDS people who are pro-gay, which I'm sure you could Google.

You might also want to check out the movie "Latter Days", which is an indy film made a few years back about a Mormon missionary and a gay party boy. It's sensitively and thoughtfully put together and it's one of my favorite gay films.

There's also a lot of work to do on the shame associated with growing up with all the anti-gay messages you doubtlessly heard, but I'd focus first on just getting to know yourself.

I hope that helps, please stick around, ask as many questions as you can think of, read some of the threads, and talk about whatever is coming up for you :slight_smile:

3. AlexisAnne

Welcome aboard. I won't lie I don't know a lot about your faith, but I definitely think you should consider what Chip said. I have yet to see him give bad advice :slight_smile:

Meanwhile take your coat off, kick back, and stay a while.

4. Tibbs90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks. I've watched Latter Days, as well as Rock Haven, Redwoods. All are excellent movies. And, I wish that I could watch Rock Haven because it really explored the difficulty that I have. My other problem is that I don't know that many gay guys in the St. Louis, MO Metro Area. Thanks alot.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

If you wanted to, and I can only encourage you to, check out some of the support resources for gay men, available in the St Louis area. Maybe you can find a group in town that offers a safe space where you can be yourself and talk/exchange experiences with others, and where you can feel that you are getting support. Listening to others' expereinces and relating them to ones own, can provide you with some insights - or perhaps even a better understanding about your own feelings.

Of course, also stick around on EC. I'm sure that being part of EC will also help you. Feel free to create threads with any questions that you might have, or with whatever is on your mind, or you feel you need to talk about.

Welcome aboard!

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

7. HatterMad

Glad you found EC, welcome.

8. Schabanak

9. PinkTractor

Hello, and welcome,

I understand you are in a difficult spot, but you have found a wonderful place! Keep posting, and listening to the great advice from the folks here. I wish you the very best!

10. ems

ems

Hello and welcome . Ur in the right place . I'm sure someone will be able to help

11. Tamrc

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish you luck Tibbs as I am in the same place and at a loss on the other side. I am not LDS - but feel like a woman without her church.