1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost and confused. Trying to find a place to fit in.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by caffeinatedhope, Nov 4, 2012.

1. caffeinatedhope

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey Everyone!

I am 21 years old and have never felt so alone. For around 7-8 years I have been repressing and denying my feelings. It wasn't until VERY recently (within the past few months) that I've finally allowed myself to freely and openly explore my feelings without self-judgement. I would say I'm in the beginning stages of "coming out to myself"... maybe? I am so lost and confused about my sexual orientation. I have no idea what I'm feeling, what to call myself, or where I belong. I literally have just started to acknowledge my feelings and thoughts that I might be bisexual. But I'm not sure I like that label either. It's all so confusing. I really don't have anyone in my life to talk to about this. I would lose 95% of my friends and 100% of my family if they knew I might not be straight. I don't really know what I am anymore, and I'm hoping this can be my one place of acceptance.

2. Toaddy

We accept everyone here, there are a lot of us here who could help you figure out yourself. If you need any help, just ask. Someone WILL have answers, i promise. So welcome, and enjoy your stay at EC. I hope you find what you're looking for. :slight_smile:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! (*hug*)

Glad you have decided to join EC. I'm sure it will help you in figuring things out.

Having started to allow yourself the freedom to explore your feelings is already huge. That will give you an opportunity to learn more about yourself as well, and eventually accept who you are.

In exploring your feelings, I don't think it is necessary to attach a label. Attaching a label could maybe prevent you from exploring more subtle feelings as the attachment of a label presents 'almost' a finality of 'this is who I am.'

Take it step by step, one day at a time. Given that you already know that you friends and family will have a hard time with coming around, try to build a strong support network first, before worrying about coming out to everyone in your life. Having a strong support network can make your coming out journey easier for you - even if it is just a little bit.

Hope you will enjoy your visits to EC! Welcome aboard! (*hug*)

4. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn, I know very well what you are going through! Let me just tell you this: I don't know your family, nor you, but there are 7billions people in this word, there will always be someone that will stand for you, will love you, will care for you and will be ready to help you in any situation. Even if it might sound crazy, you found a pretty big group that will do what I listed before, us! :3 Welcome! x

5. Andy19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi caffinatedhope! Let me just say that I relate to what you are going through. I am actually a 20 yr old guy who struggled with the same thing since puberty. I knew I liked girls both sexually and romantically but started to find some guys cute. I was embarrassed with myself because "it's wrong" bah blah blah...I tried to suppress it and here's the thing-I couldn't suppress who I am. You might be bi, you might think you're bi or whatever. I've come to realize human sexuality is a continuum; this is why to some people their sexuality isn't so clear cut. Be honest with yourself about where you fall.
    I currently live in the south (where I feel like an undercover commie spy) and after exploring my bisexuality as a whole I'd love to live somewhere I can date a cute guy. Who's damn business is it who I date, love or bring into my bed? Take it easy, girl. Don't rush and don't let biased and skewed views misguide you. It's ok you feel confused , feel free to message me if you want.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey you definitely belong here. Everyone here will help you, talk to some people or post some threads most of us are either in the same situation or have been there at some point, dont worry you are never alone.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome! You are in the right place!

8. AlexisAnne

Welcome to EC. You don't have to worry about being accepted here :slight_smile:

9. Likely

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You just pretty much told my story. I'm ashame to say that I'm 35 and still trying to figure it out. Being from the South and religious family doesnt help either. I just joined this weekend and the first post that I read made me feel sooo much better. Its good know that others have the same struggles and can relate. Make me feel a little less lonely.

10. MBS

MBS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome! Im new here too, but I can tell this is a very accepting and ready place to talk with you and help you! As for the whole labels things don't think for a second about it. You asked what to call your self, I would call you whatever your name is. That's who you are. You are as different from me as I am from you. I think its strange that people are so ready to classify sexuality into black and white categories. "You're either Gay, Bi or Straight etc.." Everyone is different on so many levels, so it's pretty safe to say that everyones sexuality is different, and isn't black or white, but every color of the rainbow. Now that being said, do not think that you are alone. You're about to start this huge journey of self discovery, and i know it's scary. But you aren't alone. I'm sitting in my living room right now sending you all the happy thoughts I have, and when you lay down to sleep tonight and that loneliness starts to seep into your thoughts. Know I would be there for you, and that im thinking about you.

11. Isabelle

Welcome to empty closets

12. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Welcome to one of the safest places to be yourself, whatever you think you are. Previous posts are right in that you don't need to label yourself anything. Just let yourself explore what you feel makes you... well you. :lol:

There is no rush, just take a deep breath and repeat until you feel a bit a calmness and then start to look inside at what your feeling. There is no right or wrong answer. Just be you. (*hug*)

13. madi

:smilewave Welcome. No one will judge you here it is just about the safest place to be. Coming out to yourself can sometimes be harder than coming out to others. Best of luck to you and I hope EC helps

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Welcome to EC~ Hopefully you'll find this site a friendly environment as well as an excellent resource to discover more about yourself and who you are~

15. Jayareh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, Caffinatedhope. I know what your going through. I'm new here, too. I think your in the right place to really find yourself. As well as get the help, and support we all need.