1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hiya and g'day

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by chrisjones, Nov 13, 2012.

1. chrisjones

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    by way of introduction... I am publicly out...

i joined this forum after coming across it a few times when i was researching coming out stories.

i am a gay poet and writer, 56 years old, living on a 33ft sailing boat on the NSW central coast, Australia.

I thought that by joining not only will I get email alerts but having read the stories I should make myself available to give something back. I also like the security of this site, btw.

I came out in my mid to late teens and became a gay rights activist in Sydney and was involved in the first mardi gras in 1978 and designed the poster after dropping out of art school. I remember getting arrested at one of the demos, this was terrifying, but all the charges ended up being dropped and we won. I then worked as an openly gay laborer in the Port Kembla Steelworks and was made union delegate after my gay right activism became known.

anyway, have been thinking of writing a small book with a fictional account of this period and written in such a way that young gays can also read the story... and the gay rights movement continues to make history, like GSA's in high schools and more

I am also living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromalagia

and I can't find the spell check, yet, sorry, writing this on a toshiba netbook and slow internet is a little more difficult, I find... not to worry, i'll get around to this soon

Quote:
    Graduate in Communication, University of Technology, Sydney, studied writing,media arts, philosophy and cultural studies. I could be described as a novelist, poet, media artist and art photographer.

2. AlexisAnne

Welcome to EC :slight_smile: Seems like you've lived quite the life so far.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

4. FunnyMonkey

Hello welcome to EC!!!

5. TearDropFairy91

Hi nice to meet you welcome to EC :slight_smile:

6. Exceeder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welcome!!! I think its great that we have someone who took part in some of the earliest succesful movements for gay rights! Thanks for making life a bit easier (for our gay comrades) down under! :slight_smile:

7. Ticklish Fish

Hello hello! I think I will get seasick... lol

8. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Welcome to one of the more fantastic places on the internet. The EC :smilewave

9. TheSeeker

Welcome to EC!! Gosh, it's great to have you here. I have been talking to some of my more experienced LGBT friends recently to see if they will join for similar reasons. I may be young and inexperienced myself, but I intend to stick around EC after I am fully out because I very much believe in this sire and its mission.

How neat that you live on a boat of the Australian coast. I have been looking into possibly moving to Australia for awhile now. There is a Professional Visa program that says that my background (in Park Service) is one of the career fields that is eligible. I have never been, but the whole continent seems like a fascinating place.

So glad you could join us on EC. Welcome to the fold!