1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi from Georgia, USA

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by integrand, Dec 23, 2012.

1. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just a regular 20 year old gay guy here. totally out, but finding gay guys to be friends with, etc, where I live in Georgia is proving to be extremely difficult. often times I feel pretty lonely and isolated as a result of this, but thankfully I found this site the other night and I decided to join and see what it's all about. hopefully I can find a good friend or two on here. hope everyone's holidays are going well!! (&&&)

2. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Hello and welcome to EC! :icon_bigg

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!!

4. Ticklish Fish

5. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

Hello! Welcome!

6. Hi there!:smilewave

7. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys! It means a lot. :slight_smile:

8. PatyR

Welcome to EC (&&&)

9. Of Mice and Men

Welcome to EC! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay! :grin:

10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to EC!

11. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

It's easy to feel isolated and alone in almost any place. You've come to a good place though. My therapist said that online communities can be good substitutes in the meanwhile while you try and build a network offline.

12. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, i have a few friends here where I live (i've never been one to choose quantity over quality), but I feel like there is a lot more I could be experiencing if I lived somewhere else like a bigger city... you know what I mean?

13. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I see but for example I live right outside of washington DC (pretty big city I don't know if you've heard of it...) and in the middle of a university campus with 40,000 students and still it's hard for me to find real friends of any persuasion. People in bigger cities tend to be always moving and always working, but never living. On the other side, I grew up in a rural town in western Maryland and it certainly wasn't great but I don't feel like my situation has changed so much between the two settings.

14. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    don't know if i've heard of washington DC? haha i hope that is a joke :slight_smile:

well for some people (like me, including) it is hard to find friends in general. i know it is for me because i am just really strange and it takes a special person to really like / understand me i guess. :slight_smile:

15. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

well NYC is the mecca but people forget DC is here, but yes it was a joke. haha

I don't have a problem interacting with people but it's hard for me to find real people. A lot of people I encounter are too busy lying to themselves to ever be true to another person, be it a friend or a lover.But I've found amazing friends in the most random of people, all I had to do was put myself out there. For example, my best girl friend is a straight international student from India. You may be excluding yourself unintentionally by trying to only make a circle of gay friends? I don't know if this is your case, but sometimes I come across people who build a gaytto and don't venture out of it. I know you'd probably feel more comfortable around gay men who are like you, but if you're lonely it's best to open yourself up to anyone.

16. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well the lonely aspect was mostly 'romantic' i guess i should say. no, i actually don't like to have a lot of gay friends. they can be a little dramatic sometimes and i dont want any part of that.

but i do go to a university and have met a ton of people just by opening up some, so i do know what you mean :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

17. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

Everyone is dramatic :wink: the gay drama kids do not get exclusive rights to it haha although sometimes I get the impression they think they invented it

ok I understand your lonely better now. I suppose I'm in a similar situation. But I always just remind myself that it really is better to not try to rush it, that it will happen when it does. You will eventually stumble upon the perfect person for you, but it's important not to try to make someone who isn't perfect perfect just because you're lonely and want it to be something it's not. I don't really have great advice for this because I am no love doctor, more in the forever alone (TM) category :s

18. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i feel like i'm in the forever alone category as well. in general, guys are just jerks and are after only one thing.

but you are right. i just go with the flow each day and i guess i'll run into that person unexpectedly when i am not even thinking about it. or at least that's how i hope it happens. haha

19. Gallatin

Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

20. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone