1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Dave1965, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Dave1965

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm late 40s, gay but married 19 years to my wife, two daughters 4 and 11. We're struggling since making it clear to her last January that I'm gay, not bisexual. Incredibly exhausting roller-coaster ride the last 11 1/2 months. No idea where we're headed. Stay? Go? Tried couples therapy unsuccessfully for about 5 weeks with a gay therapist who clearly felt the only viable long-term solution for us short of divorce is something he called polyamory. Didn't sit well with wife. She feels the only long-term solution for us short of divorce is me being monogamous with her. No homo-sex of any sort for me....ever. I'm there for the moment but that just exhausts me. I go through 18 years of denial about who I am, finally get the courage to tell her, and end up nearly a year later in the same place as I was last December.....a gay guy in a monogamous sexual relationship with a woman. Feel like why did I tell her? I must be weak. Every time we're at the brink of a break-up, I pull back....if this were a game of chicken, I'm always the one who blinks. The idea of breaking up is just so depressing. The idea of staying together sometimes also seems so depressing. I often wish I would just have a fatal heart attack. Sorry to introduce myself in such despair but I have no idea where else to turn.

Signed, Lost

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome!! I know that there are some other members here that are in the same situation that you are.

3. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

Welcome! I'm sure you will find great support here!

4. Dave1965

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it very much.

5. artsyfartsy

Hi nice to meet you, I feel sorry for everything that has happened and I hope everything will work out in the end!

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

7. 55

Dave! Congratulations on taking the steps you already have - coming out to your wife and now joining EC! There is a great growing community of men here in very similar situations! I'm sure you will hear from many of them. I hope we can give you all the support and advice you need (and deserve).

I'll send a longer post when I get a chance, but it probably won't be today, sorry.

You sent me a friend request so I assume you've read some of my saga. I need to update everyone here because I'm in a much better place than when I started my last thread! I'll make that a resolution!

Keep your chin up, Dave! 2013 can be your best year ever, but you know it won't be your easiest!

I'll see if I can rally the troops to help you out - literally! (&&&)

8. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Welcome to the EC Dave (*hug*)

Sorry I have been gone for a while, started a new job as an on call part timer, but due to the holidays I have been keeping busy.

I too understand a bit from what you are going through, I won't say I know exactly as each of us have a different beginning and a bright new future in store.

I have been separated from my wife of 12 yrs, and its THE HARDEST thing I have ever done in my entire life. If it wasn't for friends and some family being there to talk me through this I don't know where I would be or be period. So yes there is a mighty struggle to go through.

I am getting counselling at a LGBT center and will be starting therapy soon, so sometimes you just need to grit your teeth and pull yourself along until you can get that help. I am assured that it will help a lot, so I hope you'll stick around, because one thing I do know is that the people here are extremely helpful and I know I wouldn't be around if it wasn't for them.

Good Luck, There is strength in numbers, and here, people care for one another :slight_smile:

9. Jim1454

Hi Dave. Welcome to EC! I haven't been around much either over the holidays, and work has kept me really busy...

You'll ultimately need to figure this out for yourself. I consider myself lucky - that it was my wife who decided we should split. I wasn't ready to make that decision, and it scared me to death. But in hindsight it was the best thing for us to do. Only time will tell what will be best for you.

But I can tell you that divorce doesn't ruin kids. LOTS of kids have divorced parents - and many divorce for less fundamental reasons than you would be divorcing over. And having a gay dad isn't the end of the world for them either. My kids have adjusted well, and are fairly open about it at school. (Granted, we live in the Toronto area here in Canada - one of the more open and accepting places in the world.) And life has gone on for my ex wife and I as well - we are both happily remarried and we continue to get along well with each other too.

So there is a definite possability for a happy ending here - one way or another.

If you're not happy in your marriage - it's having an impact on your relationships and your work - whether you know it or not. So the short term pain of separation might be worth the long term gain of feeling truly good about yourself for the rest of your life.

10. Pablo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello Dave. I m sorry to know how hard it is what you are living rigth now but let me congratulate you. YOu did the right thing. YOu must be very brave and honest to do that.

If you think about it, something is missing in your marriage for whatever reason. If you are gay and married to a woman and you are happy there shouldn't be any trouble at all because if you are monogamous you are not suppose to look for any other, man or woman... but I think your marriage at this existential point of your life can't give you what you are looking for... and that is a problem, I have the suspicious that is not only about sex...

It is very hard to execute the decision to split but man... you got to do it. It will take its own time because is a process whit a unique time for each of us but once you feel like you are ready you will do it.

Right now you might think it is the worst thing and the end of the world but in a couple of years when you are again the happy boy you use to be you will see back to this point in your life and you will not regret the divorce.

Don't be afraid... look for some counseling... it works very well!!

We are here for you every time you need a friendly voice, a friend.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2013 at 10:38 AM ----------

One more thing, do not be so hard with yourself, you are not weak or chicken, it is a very hard and complex time of you life and that is suppose to affect you. I think you are SUPER BRAVE!

11. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A friend of mine has been through a similar situation .. he did separate about 5 years ago but remains really close to his wife and his relationship with his kids has deepened beyond recognition. Plus he feels so FREE and liberated ... Don't see it as an "end" but it might just be a fascinating new twist on things...

x

12. Dave1965

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all of you for your kind words and support. I appreciate all of your insights as I work through this with my wife. I'm so fortunate that I found this site. Thanks again.

13. gggualigeee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i cannot believe this could happen in the US, which is the country, i think, people can enjoy the most freedom. Was it really hard to come out in the past?
    Last night, I was watching Happily Divorced (an American comedy series). I thought Americans are so generous. Isn't dramma indeed dramma?
    Maybe staying together is better. Maybe being yourself is good for you but is very crule for your wife. In addition, if you get divorced, you may suffer huge financial loss.
    Just think of "being yourself" as one of the dreams in your life can never come true( such as being one of the richest guys in the world, sorry i assume you are not one of the richest guys in the world).
    Maybe other people have better solutions.

14. Dave1965

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your thoughts. I've many times thought the same thing. My favorite quote lately is "happiness is over-rated" because I question whether I can really "be myself" at the expense of my wife and family. My other rule of thumb is "resolve your sexuality issues in your 20s" so that you don't end up dragging an innocent wife/husband down this road and make them go through all this 20 years later.

15. Live Love Smile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Dave, I thought the saying was 'The truth will set you free', even if it doesn't seem that way now. You deserve to be honest with yourself, and it's better than living a lie. Best of luck.

16. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Hi there welcome :slight_smile:

17. Dave1965

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been looking at other members' threads/posts trying to make some sense of where I am and where I'm headed with my marriage and my life.

It's been almost a year since I came clean with my wife in Florida about being gay. We have gone through such a range of feelings over this year. At first, I felt so liberated. I didn't know when I told her what would happen. It just came out in an argument. Turns out she has gone to extraordinary lengths to try to embrace who I am, but at almost every turn she gets hurt. Now, a year later, I really don't think she's accepted it. Here's a little background about what's gone on.

I came out to many people without telling her because I was afraid that she would bully me into going back into the closet. Telling so many people I know did hurt her but I felt I needed to start sharing who I am.

We went to California in September for the Folsom Fair, which if you don't already know is a huge annual event in San Francisco for "leather" people. I felt so excited to be in San Francisco but while we were at the festival I started getting drunk and flirty and ended up getting my wife upset. It's like I had always thought - if she actually saw me with guys (in this case, not doing anything sexual, just being chatty) it would hurt her.

Last month, she took me along with two gay friends of hers to a male strip club. I suspected it would be a bad idea. It was. She paid for me to get a private lap dance. I went without her to a back room for it. (FYI, I didn't do anything inappropriate, just enjoyed it). When I came out of the back room, she saw me sort of hugging the dancer and it made her blow up. So, seeing me in even just a "quasi-affectionate" position with a guy drove her crazy.

When we even just watch TV, if there are gays on the show (like a gay couple on House Hunters) she gets noticeably tense. The other night she ranted that all they have on HGTV are gay guys. (I noted that we'd just finished watching two episodes with the straight couples with their kids, but she zeroes in on the queers).

If I read a magazine like The Advocate (fyi, she bought me a subscription), she gets tense.

If I read books on my Kindle about mixed-orientation marriages (like the ones she bought by author Bonnie Kaye), she gets tense.

We have had so many conversations and fights I've lost count. At least 50. Many take hours and go into the late hours of the night. Some have led to her screaming at the top of her lungs and a couple times, broken things like our framed wedding invitation and our wedding cake-topper. She has a rage inside her that I don't know what to do about.

I know I'm a "pleaser" and so I'm finding myself going deeper and deeper back into a semi-closeted state with her where I basically give the outward appearance of being a straight husband. Except that I guess I'm not romantic enough during sex.... And apparently don't flirt with her enough. And I guess I'm supposed to be doing sexy texting, too. I feel like we're no farther ahead than when I told her. I've been essentially badgered into telling nobody else I'm gay, not acknowledging in her presence that I am, etc. I don't know if I can do this forever. Yet, whenever we fight and (as has been the case at least 10 times) when she throws me out and says she can't do this anymore, ironically I'm the one who always stays calm and talks her down. I'm basically perpetuating the situation. Don't know if I'm afraid to let the train out of the station or if I really feel that we can make it work. That's something I'm working on with my (gay) therapist. All that said, I still feel just as lost and frustrated as I did a year ago.

Sorry for the rambling post. I just was putting my thoughts down as I had them. Thanks for listening.

18. gggualigeee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel your wife loves you very much.

19. Ticklish Fish

20. tom100

Dave - a late entry hello from me too.

Reading your last post, it seems we are very alike and in a very similar position. I'm something like 8 months into this (you can read all about it here somewhere) and still trying to figure what I really want and how to find a solution that works.

The bottom line perhaps is that I am unsure whether I really want to break up the marriage and move into a gay life, or whether I do but just don't have the courage to do it.

Will try and come back later if I get some alone time, but meantime take heart and support from the guys here - there are quite a lot of us tackling this situation.

Best,
    Tom