1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by mlf920, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mlf920

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just wanted to introduce myself to this site. I'm joining because, one year ago, at the age of 25, I realized I was a lesbian. Honestly, I've always known. I've had strong crushes on many of my female "friends" over the years, but I always made an excuse for it. I just really like her, or she's just really cool, or she understands me, or something of the like. And of course, I didn't have feelings for men, because I was on antidepressants, and my libido was low. I had an answer for everything.

When I realized I am who I am, I felt liberated. All at once, everything made sense. I felt free, something I'd never experienced before. But at the same time, there were the crushes, and the odds were against me. The chance that I'd fall for a single woman? Might be as high as 50/50. The chance that I'd fall for a woman who was gay? Yeah, right. I'd have better luck trying to milk a steer. I fell into a depression again, and I got stuck.

Today, I still struggle with many of the same issues. But today, I see the world around me as a sea of opportunities, not a gridwork of dead ends. My career as a microbiologist is taking me around the country, and I'm ready to embrace those changes, and the loves that may or may not form along the way. There's just one thing (so far) that I still need help with.

I've come out to friends, no problems had. But family.... I struggle with family. I know that my mother's side of the fam won't approve at all. They are old-fashioned, heavily religious (their beliefs teach them that homosexuality is a "choice") and racist. They'll never accept me. My father's side, however, I have no doubt will embrace who I am. I just need to start the conversation. How does one do that? How does one speak of gender, sex, and sexuality with a loved one? I'd love to know how you all have done it...

Maybe I've shared too much, maybe I've shared to little. Anyhow, hello, hello!

2. Hi! Welcome and stuffs. If you need anything I'm here.

I currently struggle myself. The girls I have found to be gay have not been people I would go out with. I have found the most wonderful guy, but I simply could not be sexually attracted to him. It's hard because it is something about me that I cannot change. I will be patient and I know I will find love eventually.

3. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

Welcome! There's never too little or too much to share :slight_smile:

4. Welcome to EC! :smilewave

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome to EC!!