1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello there.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by trebias, Jan 10, 2013.

1. trebias

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm new here. A little background is in order, I suppose.

I'm a married, straight male. I have no problems with other sexual orientations, it's just not my thing. As far as my tolerance or whatever, I'm probably a little ignorant due to lack of exposure. And I'm about to start babbling and whatnot, and this post will be long enough, so moving on.

I actually found this community on google as I was doing some research.

See, I want to be a writer, and I like. . .I'll just say a certain list-based comedy website for now, so that nobody thinks I'm trying to spam (this is apparently one of my big online fears, to be confused for a spambot. . .who knew?) So in trying to come up with unique observations for the site, so that I can hopefully have an article there some day, I had a realization. I thought I was pretty slick for seeing this thing that a quick, cursory Google search didn't seem to confirm.

I'll say it here, and I want to post a thread talking about it in Chit Chat as well, if that wouldn't get me in any hot water.

The thought was that Dragonball and Dragonball Z are, probably by accident, metaphors for what I've observed about the trans subculture. Is that the right word, subculture? I am also afraid of sounding too clinical sometimes.

So I went back over what I remembered about DB and DBZ, made my case, and found that I actually had some support! Great! Now to just make sure I've not missed anything regarding being trans. And that's when it hit me.

Is my idea insulting? I'm not trying to be, but, especially online, intent is only a small part of the final package. I could write what I thought to be the most open-minded thing in the world, and feel all enlightened, and still come off like a toad.

So short story long, if I were to try and submit an article that could get viewed by thousands if not a million people, with a synopsis of "The Dragonball universe contains, intentionally or not, a mostly positive and supportive metaphor for those who identify as a gender other than their birth gender," would that come off as needlessly insensitive? I mean, at the end of the day, I'm trying to just make an observation, maybe make people laugh, and not be insulting or insensitive. But at the end of the day, the worst can happen anyway, right?

I'd like to know what people think. And I'll just scrap the idea if it would be too offensive to too many people, though if I'm being honest, I probably would proceed if I get positive feedback with just a few people deciding they wouldn't like it.

2. Ticklish Fish

Hello hi! and I don't watch DB and DBZ