1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little late (but wouldn't have it any other way.)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by photoguy93, Jan 10, 2013.

1. photoguy93

Hello all! :slight_smile:

It took me a while to figure out that it's nice to post here and introduce yourself.

I didn't really take the time to do it because I just didn't think it would make any difference. But hey, I'll just do it!

I'm excited to have this forum because I think we can all help each other. There's a lot of like minded people, and two (or thousands) of heads are better than one.

I am from Indiana (so most of my comments relating to areas involve my conservative location.) I go to college. I work. I have a pretty normal life. But I also do some great volunteer work, because I love helping people - another great reason for me to be here.

I am gay, and I still have issues with the whole thing. I'm fine being gay. Most everyone knows (I am still not 100 percent ready to talk with my parents about it, but my mom already knows due to an unfortunate harassing incident by some ding bat in high school.) Everyone loves me. I'm fine. I won't be kicked out or hated.

But, I am single. That is my biggest problem. I have almost no self confidence. (one of the reasons why I don't have a pic.) I have never had any meaningful relationship. I have had a few encounters, but pretty much nothing. I'm like an alien when it comes to guys. It's just blehh. I have gotten to the point where I resent guys. It's just annoying.

But besides that... I am excited to be here to talk in a non-judgemental area. Just from the bits that I have seen, you all have good comments and this shall be fun! :slight_smile::slight_smile:

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

Hi! Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy it here and find great advice.

As for the lack of confidence, my friend, only you can conquer that. It's all mental. It's all in your head, a negative voice telling you no and defeating you before you even try. You have to allow yourself out of your comfort zone and just go for it. It's hard I know, but really it's all up to you, and the only thing holding you back is yourself. Go for it. Try. You'll find plenty of support here.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome to EC!!

5. JohnJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    HI and welcome. This is a wonderful place. As for confidence, it will come, it just takes time and practice. You are going to school, working, and volunteering. So, you are out there, doing things, keep that up, be social, talk with new people, each interaction will build your confidence. You sound pretty well adjusted to me, have patience, and you will get there.

6. RainbowMan

Welcome to EC....I'm 33, single, and pretty much not out at all, so it sounds like you're leaps and bounds ahead of me!

I'm sure you'll find someone eventually - you have to remember that our potential mating pool is...restricted. Sucks, but it's true. Given that 48% of the world's population is male, and maybe 5-10% of those are gay/bi, we stand a much worse change than 90-95% of 52% of the population if we were straight.

Hang in there, it WILL happen. I'm sure of it.

7. photoguy93

Thanks! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2013 at 09:00 PM ----------

Ok, I also do a lot of replies from my iPad...so now that I am on my computer, I am doing worse! haha.

Ok, first, to everyone - thanks for the great replies. It truly made my night better. I was in a little bit of a huff (which happens with this part of my life.) But it's great to know there are a lot of fabulous people out there! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2013 at 09:01 PM ----------

Thanks! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2013 at 09:03 PM ----------

:slight_smile: I love "my friend." Isn't it the best saying? Great way to talk to people.

I know it's all mental. I have made some strides in that. What's so weird is that I have always made it through. I have done well. But my mind just wants me to p*ss on that and not let it go. But that's my anxiety. It's always been like that. Things are looking up. I know we all have moments like that. We all have our pros and cons and the things that we do that don't help.
    I am my worst enemy and my best friend. I am the only person who can help myself. Just figuring out how to start....yikes!

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2013 at 09:03 PM ----------

Thank you! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2013 at 09:06 PM ----------

Thanks!
    I am discovering that this truly is a wonderful place.
    It does take time. I am out there - which is something that does help me. My biggest problem is with my ability to connect the two. I have a wonderful life (school, work, etc.) but have a non-existent romantic/anything gay side. Gotta try and find a way to work them together!

I try. I am very mature and very well adjusted with a lot of things. But it's tough. I'm sure you all know that!

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2013 at 09:12 PM ----------

I really appreciate that. I guess it puts it into perspective. And when you live in such a small town, bigger cities can seem like a big old orgy. A close friend lives in the Chicago area - I go there and think "HOLY SHIZ BALLS, IT'S FILLED WITH REAL GAY MEN!" In all reality, our population is lowered. And then if you add on individual likes (for example, I like more masculine guys).

I really appreciate it! Truly. Thank you!

8. Shrouded Heart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Same here, just joined yesterday :grin: I'm pretty much in your situation too, family found out due to being nosy :angry: It was a bit scary at first but we're all finally on the same page. Trying to take that final step and find someone special :3

9. photoguy93

Yeah, totally feel you there. It's a lot of steps. And for someone like me (and you can probably agree) it's tough. There's all these layers. I know people will love me, but gosh - - it's still tough! But I don't feel ashamed...it's just a weird field. Haha.
    I think we all want someone special. If only it was just a bit easier (or possible, in some cases. haha.)

10. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Welcome to the EC :smilewave

This is definitely some of the best people on earth here, and this is one of the truly wonderful places to hang out and just talk and ask questions and feel safe. (*hug*)

11. photoguy93

It totally is! I'm finding that it is really wonderful here. Everyone who is seeing this - feel free to post or comment or just chat. I don't want to be a creeper, so you all start! Haha:lol:

12. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

You can't wait until you think you're ready! You just have to stop thinking and just do it :slight_smile: